Travel to india with I551

sbba

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I had I-551 stamping and iam planning to travel to India via Frankfurt So do i need to take any transit visa as i dont have any thing like Advance Pay roll or I 485 approval notice.

Please share your experices if anyone travelled with I-551 stamp..

Thanks,
-sbba

My Most recent Experience with I-551 Stamp on my Daughter's passport. In summary please DONOT travel via London if you have I-551 Stamp on your passport, if you are an Indian National!! I-551 Stamp works only if you have Direct Flight to US from India and viceversa.
This is what Delhi Airport Officials have told me.

I don't know if this is just via London only, But moral of the story when you are travelling with family and kids, Don't take chances putting your family thru Nightmare experience. I had to send half of my family, had to stay back with my kid, getting immigration stamping cancellation, Luggage recollect and booking a new flight, additional expenses. Stressfull experience etc etc... Delhi Airport Authorities and Air India were were extreamly Supportive, empathetic during entire process. Thanks to them I made home

Wanted to share this so you can avoid this nightmare for you and Your loved ones.

My Most recent Experience with I-551 Stamp on my Daughter's passport. In summary please DONOT travel via London if you have I-551 Stamp on your passport, if you are an Indian National!! I-551 Stamp works only if you have Direct Flight to US from India and viceversa.

I don't know if this is just via London only, But moral of the story when you are travelling with family and kids, Don't take chances putting your family thru Nightmare experience. I had to send half of my family, had to stay back with my kid, getting immigration stamping cancellation, Luggage recollect and booking a new flight, additional expenses. Stressfull experience etc etc... Delhi Airport Authorities and Air India were were extreamly Supportive, empathetic during entire process. Thanks to them I made home

Wanted to share this so you can avoid this nightmare for you and Your loved ones.

You need to properly check the requirements of each country you travel through if you would normally need a transit visa. I’m sorry about your stressful experience, but it could have been prevented by you checking. The U.K. is very clear that it won’t accept the stamp, see the bit I bolded on their list below:

From the https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y site when you check for transit visas:

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

• a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)
  • a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand
  • a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
  • a resident permit issued by Canada after 28 June 2002
  • a uniform format category D visa for entry into a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section)
  • a Schengen Approved Destination Scheme (ADS) group tourism visa where the holder is travelling to the Schengen country that issued the visa
  • a flight ticket from the Schengen area, if you can prove that you entered the Schengen area in the previous 30 days on the basis of a valid Schengen ADS visa
  • a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
  • a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
  • an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
  • a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
All visas and residence permits must be valid.

Oops, just saw that poster above me responded to a 14-year old thread. Lol.
Fact remains that those traveling via Frankfurt need to check German regulations and those traveling via London need to check U.K. regulations, etc.

Gosh, an old thread.. Bush was president

Most European airlines do not recognize the I551 stamp as a transit visa waiver. United Airlines and Air India have direct flights to India for those lacking a valid physical green card.

Hi, sorry for your bad experience. I also have I 551 stamp. I am planning to travel to India. How did your daughter come back? which airline? Thank you.