Travel outside USA after sept 11

bharatdeshi

Registered Users (C)
Hi all. I m planning to travel to thailand in Dec 2002. I have been there before sept 11. I had no problem to re enter USA.
But now i feel anxious and would like to know from all of u..if anyone has traveled lately specially after sept 11.
Do they give any problems to re enter??
I have the RTD. Your reply will be very helpful.
Thank you.

No problem

As long as you don't go to your home country, there is no reason to have any problem, you have the right to travel around the world, except your home country.

Thanks

really appreciate your replies.
I have to meet my old parents. Now I can travel to thailand free of worry. Thank you again

Keep us posted.

Don't forget to keep us posted with all the information you can.
When is your travel? What the Thailand officers said abou your RTD? What the INS officer asked you when you came back? etc, etc.

Is important for everybody in this forum to know that you can travel, and you are NOT doing anything wrong, you have that right. I have noticed some people in this forum scared about travelling.

So please, share with us your experience.

By the way, if you don't mind can you tell us where are you from?

Thanks

My experience

I went to Thailand last October (after 911). When I left US, the airline checkin desk lady ask her coworker to double check my RTD since she didn't know what RTD is.
When entering Thailand, the Thailand officer had no question about my RTD and visa.
When I left Thailand, the airline employee asked me to show them some other evidence which can prove I can legally enter US. I showed him driver license and he let me departure.
When entering US. The guy asked me to go to the secondary custom check since he thought I am a newly arrived asylee( I thought). No question ask at the secondary check when I showed my RTD.
Hope this helps.

already been there once in oct 2000

Yes i had the similar experience in Oct 2000 when I visited Thailand.
Had no problem reaching Thailand. But on departure from thailand , the airline check in lady didnt have any idea about RTD..she asked for all other ID's. I had my EAD and drivers license. She asked for Green card..I said that it still in the waiting list. She confirmed about RTD from her senior officials and then let me in. Had no problem on arrival in USA. That was in Oct 2000.
Also I asked Singapore Embassy for their tourist visa..They said that we dont need one visa . They just need RTD valid for 6 months.

I went to Singapore, Hong Kong and China in May 2002 with a RTD. I went through the immigration smoothly in Singapore because I had a letter from the Singapore consulate in D.C. stating that I do not need a special visa to enter Singapore with a U.S. travel document. However it was a hassle to enter Hong Kong. The immigration officer asked to see my return ticket, other types of ID such as a driver's license, my occupation in the U.S., my length of stay in the U.S., etc. The immigration in China was also pretty smooth, it took a while for the offier to stamp my document because he had to verify the type, but he didn't ask me any questions. Upon returning to the U.S. (I arrived in S.F. Int'l Airport), the INS officer asked me my current status, my parents' names, and my immigration history, i.e. what was my status when I first came to the U.S. and thereafter.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

If you do not mind, can you tell us if you are a Chinese citizen. If not, I guess you have obtained visas while in the US for both the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong SAR. Thanks.

I am from Indonesia. I got my HK SAR and mainland China visa from the Chinese Consulate of San Francisco.

It was hard at all to get the visas. Just complete the applications (there are different apps for HK SAR and mainland China) and return them either in person or by mail to you servicing Chinese consulate.

I filed my I-485 in October 2001.

Hi Lacey777..

Can you pls tell me if they asked in details about your case..Did the immigration officer trouble you with a lot of questions..etc on arrival back to USA..I am leaving November end of this year.
..for Bangkok.Thank you.

I was trying to get visa to Italy in 17-23 Sept 2002.
Was no problem with my RTD.
But I did not get a visa - they jerked me around, I came 3 times
with additional info from travel agent, finally they told me it is to late already to issue a visa - they said it has to be 7-10 days based on my nationality (ukrainian). Their info saying - 2-15 days for anybody to get visa. I got a feeling they just did not want to give a visa. I lost my money on the trip and tickets to Italy (they still good for 1 year, but different restrictions&penalty apply).

I am sorry that you have to postpone or cancel your trip.

Do they deny your visa applicaton or do they ask for more documents? How far in advance did you apply for visa?

Do you only plan to visit Italy?

Yes, I only wanted to see Italy.
I applied 2 weeks before trip. I had my tickets already, and they ask you to show tickets (maybe reservation can be good too, their info telling so, but I dought it).
They refused to take hotel confirmation my tour agent gave me - they told it should be sent directly from hotel and adressed to Italian Consulate.
Next time I brought another confirmation - it looked already as invitation and confirmation. It was sent from Italy, but it had mistake in the adress of consulate.
Next time I came 5 days before the trip, feeling they can say it is late to me. But I had hope they will pay attention to the time I started with my application.
I was coming all the time to the same woman. I still have the feeling she did not want to give it from the beginning, but she did not tell the reason.
They are jerking many people around now, so if you planning the trip, try to start with consulate mutch in advance.
Still to some people they give visa in 1-2 days. So, well - just good luck!