travel document - reentry permit - how long is the process till i receive the passport?

bosanci30

Registered Users (C)
i got the green card in december 2011 ,and i dont have any valid passport (foreign),

so i did put the application form i-131 for reentry permit,on dec 30-2011

and i got a finger appointment on feb 9-2012,

now my question is ,how long after the feb 9 will it take to receive that reentry permit? as on march 15 i will be traveling overseas !

thank you for any advice!

regards,

bosanci30

i got the green card in december 2011 ,and i dont have any valid passport (foreign),

so i did put the application form i-131 for reentry permit,on dec 30-2011

and i got a finger appointment on feb 9-2012,

now my question is ,how long after the feb 9 will it take to receive that reentry permit? as on march 15 i will be traveling overseas !

thank you for any advice!

regards,

bosanci30

Unless you got your underlying LPR status as a refugee or asylee, you are expected to have a valid passport for foreign travel. A stateless person who would normally first be an asylee, or refugee can easily travel on a Refugee Travel Document (RTD) but sometimes even they have a valid passport.

Unless you got your underlying LPR status as a refugee or asylee, you are expected to have a valid passport for foreign travel. A stateless person who would normally first be an asylee, or refugee can easily travel on a Refugee Travel Document (RTD) but sometimes even they have a valid passport.
hi,
i got the green card under my dad as he was a citizen,
and i dont have any valid foreign passport,and it takes about 4-6 months to get one,then i decide to apply for the reentry permit,i am not a refugee or asylee.

i have asked this because i research and i dont see any time frame,how long will take,the process.

it took about a month to just to get the app letter for finger printing,now i am little concern as i got the flying tickets and maybe i may not get that reentry permit in time.

thank you,

hi,
i got the green card under my dad as he was a citizen,
and i dont have any valid foreign passport,and it takes about 4-6 months to get one,then i decide to apply for the reentry permit,i am not a refugee or asylee.

i have asked this because i research and i dont see any time frame,how long will take,the process.

it took about a month to just to get the app letter for finger printing,now i am little concern as i got the flying tickets and maybe i may not get that reentry permit in time.

thank you,

The REP is not a replacement for a passport. The RTD can be.

How old were you when you got your LPR status from your USC father? Have you explored the possibility that you might have U.S. citizenship? When you ask questions on a forum without many (or any) details, you often will get questions in response rather than good answers.

Note that quick answers are often wrong.

The REP is not a replacement for a passport. The RTD can be.

How old were you when you got your LPR status from your USC father? Have you explored the possibility that you might have U.S. citizenship? When you ask questions on a forum without many (or any) details, you often will get questions in response rather than good answers.

Note that quick answers are often wrong.
i was over 21 when i come here,11 years ago.

what exactly is LPR?
sorry.

ok,i understand now,

i was 33 in dec 2011 what i got the gc.

he got his citizen in 1994 ,and i was not here in usa.,i come in 2000,without a viza, i was over 21 also

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you follow the expedite process? If not, your RP could take several months to be issued. Send a fax AND post a letter requesting that they expedite your request. Send them a copy of your plane tickets, and if you have a compelling reason to travel on those exact dates, include that, and if possible, documentation to support it. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's the only thing you can do. You might have to postpone your trip.

The RP can be used as a travel document because it is one. I've used it to travel before.

Try to renew your country's passport as soon as possible. Relying on the RP again and again is expensive and very unreliable and annoying.

ya,i think that is a good idea to do ,maybe they can expedite little faster the process,
someone i know did it few years back ,he was in the same situation and he got the reentry permit within 2 months,
but to be sure i will get it before my date i have to travel,witch is about 37 days away,i have to somehow make them speedup the process.

thanks,

Hello bosanci30, What is your reentry permit status?

Hello bosanci30,

What is your reentry permit status? Is it approved now? I have applied it. I like to know the processing time. Please reply to me.

Thanks,
Nonsy

Hello bosanci30,

What is your reentry permit status? Is it approved now? I have applied it. I like to know the processing time. Please reply to me.

Thanks,
Nonsy
ya i got it, on feb 16-2012

well i had biometrics on feb-9-2012
then the next day i prepare a envelope and fax to send to them ,that i really need this reentry permit to be "expedite" (sent also plane ticket proof-and attached letter saying my motive)

on feb -13-2012 they received my envelope (fax sent on feb11)

on feb 14-2012 got email that they mailed the travel document

and on feb 16 -2012 got it in mail !

credit to "cafeconleche" for his advice.

it come quick !

hope you will get it soon tooo

regards,

bosanci30

Congrats! bosanci30

Congrats and thanks bosanci30. What date did you put in the application (Intend to leave USA).? Is it your first Reentry permit? Mine is second

Congrats and thanks bosanci30. What date did you put in the application (Intend to leave USA).? Is it your first Reentry permit? Mine is second
thanks, i put march 15-2012 because i purchased the tickets to fly overseas.(europe),and yes,first permit,as my foreign passport that i have has been expire long time ago,and it takes about 6 months to get one,
so thats why i had to get travel document.
thanks
regards,
bosanci30

Glad it worked out. And, it happened exceptionally fast! I'm pleasantly surprised. I encourage you to apply for your passport, though, since you can see what a hassle it is to deal with CIS more often than you need to.

Have you also been able to get your visa(s) for Europe? That could take time sometimes.

Glad it worked out. And, it happened exceptionally fast! I'm pleasantly surprised. I encourage you to apply for your passport, though, since you can see what a hassle it is to deal with CIS more often than you need to.

Have you also been able to get your visa(s) for Europe? That could take time sometimes.
hi,
ya it come really fast...thanks for your good advice!

where ever i go in europe i dont need the visa,

but there are places that of course you need the visa,but if they ask ,no problem i have the id car from my birth country and is good for all europe and i will not need the visa.

and yes,i will redo my foreign passport also because this travel document will expire in 2 years,and then i am not going to pay again almost 500$ to make other one ,will just make the one from my birth country,

and when time comes for the citizen here will do one for usa here.

thank you

bosanci30

Could you please share fax number?

bosanci30,

I need to go back to my country on emergency.I have purchased the ticket. I have given finger printing last week. I want to fax my travel ticket to them to expedite the process. Could you please send me fax number and what we have to send them?

THank,
Nonsy

bosanci30,

I need to go back to my country on emergency.I have purchased the ticket. I have given finger printing last week. I want to fax my travel ticket to them to expedite the process. Could you please send me fax number and what we have to send them?

THank,
Nonsy

here is the info:

>>>>>>
NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER NSC
Director: Jerry Heinauer
Deputy Director: Marilyn Wiles
Chief of Staff: Neil Jacobson
850 S. Street
Lincoln, NE 68508-2521

Phone: (402) 323-6031
Fax: (402) 219-6050
>>>>>

i have sent 2 letters out also to the above address and the one that is on your receipt that come after you
apply for your travel document.

also you can see here all the info address,phone,fax.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/88027.pdf

just make sure you do a letter to them explaining that you need the travel document faster,then include a copy of your finger print,also a copy of travel ticket so they can see,is better to
highlight the dates when travel so they can see.

thanks,goodluck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please hlep

Hi Bosanci,
If you do not mind sharing, what was your urgent need to travel and what evidence did you have to provide. I'm in the same predicament as you and is afarid I'm not going to get my travel document in time for my trip.

Thanks

Hi all,

I saw this conversation and thought maybe someone can help me. I applied and requeste expedite I-131 Refugee Travel Document, got my receipt on Sept 17, had Biometrics done on October 1st. I need the document urgently as I am travelling on Nov 3rd. After my biotrics nothing has been done yet, when I requested more ifnromation they say an Officer is reviwing my applicaiton. Today my online status said my name was updated. Everytime I call I hear something different from an officer. Yesterday one said that I will get it in time if someone is reviewing it, today another one told me my request for expedite was accepted on oct 16th (??) why then if the moment I mailed it I asked for expedite? On Oct 16th I just called to hear updates and to ask for some attention. The Officer did not explain anything just kept on repeating blah blah information. What do I do?? I really need to travel.

hi,
ya it come really fast...thanks for your good advice!

where ever i go in europe i dont need the visa,

but there are places that of course you need the visa,but if they ask ,no problem i have the id car from my birth country and is good for all europe and i will not need the visa.

and yes,i will redo my foreign passport also because this travel document will expire in 2 years,and then i am not going to pay again almost 500$ to make other one ,will just make the one from my birth country,

and when time comes for the citizen here will do one for usa here.

thank you

bosanci30

You need the RP to travel? No passport? Because, if you have a passport, you can leave and ask someone to check your mail and send you the RP when it comes.

If you need the RP because you have no passport, call the number again, get the agent, and make up a story, like you applied for citizenship 2 months prior and never got an acknowledgement. Also tell them your cheque was never cashed. That will get you escalated to an officer who will know what he/she is doing, and you can explain why you really called (they will not know what you will have said earlier).