Travel Document but no Green Card

gandrud

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone!

I was granted asylum in July 2011 and in September I applied for my Refugee Travel Document. I have never been here ilegal. I went from Student Status "F1" straight to "asylee status".

According to the law, an asylee is able to apply to for his/her permanent status "Green Card" a year later after being granted. However, the fees to get a Green Card are really expensive and I personally don't have that amount of money.

I recently booked a two week trip to Norway for the first week of August 2012 regarding some family issues and I"ve gotten a "Schengen Visa" which is required for those using the RTD. "Except Germany"

My question is: On July 20th will be one year since I was granted asylum, remembering "I don't have money for the fees to apply for my GC". Will I have problems flying back to the United States by using only the RTD without the Green Card?

Thank you so much!

Thank you

Hello gandrud,

I had same situation and was traveling on RTD without any problems...

Hey Pipabest,
Thank you so much.
Can you please tell me more when you left the country and when you flew back in? Do you want to exchange emails or phone number? I have tons of questions...lol

have a vision

dont think of money right now get your green card as soon as you can>
after you are a permanent resident, you ll have to wait 5 years before applying for citizenship
the sooner the better