Travel and "extreme vetting"

Fin

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I have upcoming work related travel to Germany (not COP obviously ) coming up in a month. I have an asylum based GC and still some time before I am eligible for citizenship. I have travelled a few times before and never faced any problems. However, with the new extreme vetting procedures and media hysteria, I'm concerned if it's a good idea or should I try to make some excuse to my boss to get out of this situation. It's obviously not going to look good on my part but I don't want to get stuck unnecessarily. I will be traveling with a few American colleagues who report to me. So if I get detained or searched in front of them, it would be embarrassing.

I'm not a Muslim or from any Muslim country (not that it matters but important to state in the current context). I have a clean record - not even a speeding ticket. I will be using RP (as I have in the past). I don't have NP and haven't used it for travel. Please share your opinions and experiences.

If you're not from a Muslim country, even one that isn't yet affected by the ban, you are likely to be ok. BUT, nobody knows what President Tangerine is planning, so it's going to be a cost-benefit analysis either way :)

That's my concern too. Coming from a small non-Muslim country, it's unlikely that it will be banned but the "extreme vetting" bothers me as I don't know what it means. Imagine coming in from a trans Atlantic flight and being pulled out for interrogation for 2 hours in front of your colleagues. I'd most likely get out (since I have a clean record) but imagine the impression these guys are going to have about their boss (me) lol. That's why I'm looking for recent Asylee travel experiences.

In any case I'd like to remind my fellow GC holders that you have a legal right to enter the country, so CBP can't refuse you (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's the law). The most they can do is refer you to an IJ for proceedings to revoke your GC. You can have a lawyer represent you there and you have due process rights. If the CBP tries to strong arm you into signing I-407 to voluntarily relinquish your residency, DO NOT do so and ask for a lawyer. Else you won't have a recourse.

Yeah I know it can be awkward, but hopefully your colleagues know by now that CBP have been in contempt of court, so you can't expect much from them.