• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Translations, police certificate and re entry in the US

pollon

Registered Users (C)
Hallo, I am a DV 2008 winner from Italy keeping my fingers crossed for my number to become current :) I was wondering a couple of things:

-Do I need my documents translations to be certified translations?
-I lived in the states on and off on student visas for almost 5 years (California, Indiana and Florida). Do I need police certificates from these states?
-I just came back from a 10 days visit in the US on a tourist visa for Christmas/New Year's Eve. Do I need to inform KCC to update my entries in the US in my application?

thank you in advance to whomever will answer! :)
Good luck to everyone;)

Case Number EU24XXX
Letter Recived May 1
Letter sent to KCC mid May
KCC confirmed received my application beginning of June

1) not in the sense that you may be implying. They need to be certified like this:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date
Typed Name
Address

2) no
3) no, but you should amend your forms before you are sworn in by the consular officer right before your DV interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Police certifacate from Austria.

Hi!
I will have interview on 14.feb.2008 Slovakia
And i have question.
1. I was studing four years in Austria. Do I need Police certifacate from there anyways? I did not have permanent visa just simple student visa.

2. To the post before:
Does it means that i can translate the documents by myself?
Even though i have no Certificate as Translator? And if so, does every US embassy has to accept my translation?

Thx, for answer :)

1. yes you need a police certificate from Austria

2. You cannot translate it yourself, you need to go to a certified translator.

Thx.

Its really pitty!! The whole interview will cost me more than 4000USD and i dont even know if i will get the GC :((

You know....interview fees, translation of all the document for me ,my husband and my daughter...
Than medical exam...and also the intrview is not in my country. We have to travel about 8h to get there....
I hope that we will be at least successful...
I am little bit worry because we will have just money ( 21000USD) and no employment letter ar affidavit...

the translations don't have to be done by a certified translator.

They can be translated by you and signed by your friend who speaks both languages. The translator's certification, as I wrote above, is a must - which is his/her signature and information. He/she needs to attest that she/he speaks/reads both languages and is able to translate documents.

I translated docs for my parents. Some of them were signed by me, others reviewed and signed by my friend, and some by my uncle.

You'd better hurry up with that police certificate from Austria. It may take a long time.

Thanks a lot LucyMO for your explanation. Basically I can have the translations done by anybody who's fluent in English, and have them "autocerified" by the person who did them with the note you wrote.
Thanxs again!

the translations don't have to be done by a certified translator.

They can be translated by you and signed by your friend who speaks both languages. The translator's certification, as I wrote above, is a must - which is his/her signature and information. He/she needs to attest that she/he speaks/reads both languages and is able to translate documents.

I translated docs for my parents. Some of them were signed by me, others reviewed and signed by my friend, and some by my uncle.

You'd better hurry up with that police certificate from Austria. It may take a long time.

Sorry, but are you 100% sure? Because when i call embassy in Prag, they told me that i need to bring certified translation. Could it be that they don't know exactly and they just want to have it easy way done ( for them) ?

Do you maybe know some usa gov. web page where is it written?

yes, I am absolutely sure. What you were told is the same thing I told you above. The translations need to be certified. Not the translators.

I also gave a link to the government page where it is explained in detail.

yes, I am absolutely sure. What you were told is the same thing I told you above. The translations need to be certified. Not the translators.

I also gave a link to the government page where it is explained in detail.

Sorry to bother again but does this certification means that the person who translated need to sign the paper in front of some lawyer, who will stamp it and validated the signature or something like that or just sign home and thats it? :confused:

by the way, forgot to tell you guys that US consulates in some countries require the translations to be notarized as well. So far, I know of only two: Buharest, Romania, and Tashket, Uzbekistan. There may be more.

Notarized translations are not required in Moscow and Warsaw, and most other places.

If you have a document that is in a language other than your country's, you need a notarized translation. For example, you live in Romania, and your birth certificate is in Korean, coz you were born in Korea. The translation will need to be notarized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does somebody has experiences with consulate in Prague (Czechs republic ) ?
How is it there?
And also LucyMo, do you have any idea how is it in my case, when I am from Slovakia, but the immigrant visa are proceeded just in Czechs Republic. It means that all my documents have to be translated anyways , or it should be ok because the visa are issued just in Czech.
I try to call the Consulate but they are very unfriendly! They are just trying to hung up on my face. If i ask them, if i need translation, they say yes. And when i ask : " ok, but what kind of translation?" they said: " as usual " so i ask than: " notarized ? or not? : and they> : "What you mean notarized?" When i then try to explain they just say : "yes". But i think that they don't really care, if it really hast to be notarized or not. They just want get rid of all telephone calls and work.
I even ask them how should look the paper from my Bank account if its enough just to show normal Bank statement and if i should also translated they said: " yes". I think this is really too much. For what they need translated Bank account statement. There is just my name and the sum.
I will try to call them on Monday again but I am sure i will not get right answer again.:confused::mad::(