Transit in Germany / RTD

someone2007

Registered Users (C)
Does Germany require to have a visa on RTD for transit in Germany ?

I want to book on Lufthansa and there will be a few hours transit in germany...
thx

(p.s. I am an Asylee, so will be using RTD only)

NO Visa required I was their last year I was coming from turkey and i had connection flight in Germany they are very nice People

thanks

thanks for everyone who replied to my post .

I checked their website and my country of citizenship falls under the list of countries that require visa with the following exceptions

Exception 2 to the list above:

If you hold

- one of the following US residence permits:

§ I-551 Permanent Resident Card (2 or 10 years validity)

§ I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card (2 or 10 years or unlimited validity)

§ I-327 Reentry Document (2 years validity, issued to I-551 holders)

§ Resident Alien Card (2 or 10 years or unlimited validity, only sufficient if the stay abroad does not exceed 1 year)

§ Permit to Reenter (2 years validity, only sufficient if the stay abroad does not exceed 2 years)

§ Valid Temporary Residence Stamp (1 year validity) or

The exception doesnt say anything about travelling with RTD alone..
I called the consulate and they said you don't need a visa ...

So now I dont know. do I need or not ! the website doesnt list RTD as an exception ..

any help?

thanks for everyone who replied to my post .

I checked their website and my country of citizenship falls under the list of countries that require visa with the following exceptions

The exception doesnt say anything about travelling with RTD alone..
I called the consulate and they said you don't need a visa ...

So now I dont know. do I need or not ! the website doesnt list RTD as an exception ..

any help?

If you dont need a visit visa on rtd..you also dont need a transit visa.

check this link: http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/03__Consulates/Miami/03/Visa__Zwischen__Seite.html

it says: "At this time, holders of US travel documents issued as refugee travel documents do not require a visa to travel to Germany for tourism, transit or business. Please note that this only encompasses Germany, as other countries of the Schengen agreement may require you to hold a visa. This may be subject to change, therefore check for changes on this website before each trip. As this exception may not be known to some airlines or immigration officers, we suggest you print this information and take it with you. The printout quotes the address of this website and the date, enabling you and others to verify the information and to check if the printout is up to date.

Holders of US travel documents issued as Permit to Reenter need a visa according to their nationality."

so if u have an RTD, ull be fine!!

gd lk

people with RTD do not require visa to stay in germany for less than 90 days. But they also state that your RTD must not expire within 3 months from the date you enter germany.

You do not need visa to visit Germany ...But... while travelling, you must carry some solid_proof/Consulate_Letter etc. Most of the airlines do not know about this exception and they will not let you board without showing such proof. My friend carried a letter (originally issued by German consulate in San Francisco) so he did not have any problem in visiting Germany without visa. German authorities issued him some visa_on_arrival at their airport. They only demanded that he must have atleast 3 months of RTD validity.

I had visited German consulate in Israel prior to travelling to Germany several year ago. Even their consulate out there did not know anything about this exception. So I had to show them their San Francisco based consulate's letter. So German Consulate General (Israel) called several offices and 'could not find exact answer, but since I had this important letter so he just issued me a visa on my RTD so that I wont have to go through any hassles at POE.

So my advise is: Visit German Consulate, get this written letter and you are good to go..

You do not need visa to visit Germany ...But... while travelling, you must carry some solid_proof/Consulate_Letter etc. Most of the airlines do not know about this exception and they will not let you board without showing such proof. My friend carried a letter (originally issued by German consulate in San Francisco) so he did not have any problem in visiting Germany without visa. German authorities issued him some visa_on_arrival at their airport. They only demanded that he must have atleast 3 months of RTD validity.

I had visited German consulate in Israel prior to travelling to Germany several year ago. Even their consulate out there did not know anything about this exception. So I had to show them their San Francisco based consulate's letter. So German Consulate General (Israel) called several offices and 'could not find exact answer, but since I had this important letter so he just issued me a visa on my RTD so that I wont have to go through any hassles at POE.

So my advise is: Visit German Consulate, get this written letter and you are good to go..

Thanks singh and others ..

Singh, can I get this letter by mail? since there is no consulate in my state. i dont want to travel to another state to get a letter...

It appears that Administrator WantMyGCNow visit it very often. He might have this letter already, send him a PM to get his attention.

Call nearest German consulate in USA and ask them to fax it to you. They must have some letter already printed on their letterhead because RTD is a US Govt issued document and a lot of people use it.