Traffic infraction and submission of N400

NEWFILER

Registered Users (C)
This is in continuation of previous post but changed personal situation of my close friend.
He almost completed his N400 and was ready to submit to CIS last week and on the day of submision he was issued a ticket for using mobile while driving.
(Thanks for the previous advises but please read on).
Now He is 80 days away before 5 years complettion and intend to submit n400 .
Infact he wanted to wait till he paid the minor ticket and then apply but it takes 3 -4 weeks for update in court and then only he can pay.
Meanwhile because of uregnt need he may need go to his country next week for short trip and he wish to apply before(Means he was still away from settling the fine because court update problems).
Now if he applies mentioning 'Yes' for Q 16 and fills the citation table iwth details like--citation details and puts 'status:in process' instead of 'fine paid'(The fine will,be aprox.$130),will his application will be denied/kept pending or he can safely apply?(The issue will be definitely settled before interview time since it will be another 2-3 months and mean while the applciation will be processed and gain time).
Any suggestions what happens or he is ok with that.
Please.

My friend got traffic ticket 2 days before he mailed his N-400. He paid the fine, got court disposition and mentioned the same during the interview. He got approved just fine.

My friend got traffic ticket 2 days before he mailed his N-400. He paid the fine, got court disposition and mentioned the same during the interview. He got approved just fine.
Thanks for the reply.
Your friend also mentioned that ticket in N400 and mentined details with
like citation details and will be paying ?
Why I request is --My friend is in confusion what to to mention in N400 as to regarding details of citation -as it yet to be paid and settled later- and N400 below asks for citation details to be mentioned whether dismissed ,charges filed,paid etc.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
Your friend also mentioned that ticket in N400 and mentined details with
like citation details and will be paying ?
Why I request is --My friend is in confusion what to to mention in N400 as to regarding details of citation -as it yet to be paid and settled later- and N400 below asks for citation details to be mentioned whether dismissed ,charges filed,paid etc.
Thanks in advance.

Simply put, minor trafic citation like the one you mentioned should not hinder or delay your friend's N-400 application. He can put in on his application the date he was sited and then on the outcome feild, he can put "pending". He will be good to go. There is definitely going to be some time between when he files and the interview which will give him some time to take care of the ticket before his interview. Now on his travel, since hes required to put in all travel he had on his N-400 form, he may need to travel and then return before he files. Better still let him call USCIS and verify from them how that affects the whole aplication and what would be his best option.

Those guys at USCIS are very professional, very helpful and couteous so he has nothing to worry about. He should be open and not entertain fear.

By the way, I am not an attorney. I am just sharing my experience and answering this queries to the best of my understanding. He may need to contact an immigration attorney if he needs expert advise...disclaimer.

Why can't he apply after he comes back from his "previous" country? That will also give time to take care of the ticket. I know people want to apply as soon as possible, but if he has other pressing things to take care of, a few weeks here and there would not make a difference.

In reading your post, your friend is not in a difficulty at all. He just need to produce documentation when he's schedule for the interview, carry all originals and court disposition to the USCIS offices, information will be examined and when he meet all the eligibility requirements, get approved for naturalization. If I were him, I would pay all the tickets and bring poor to the interview. good luck:)

Thanks for the reply.It totally makes sense what you suggested.
But,because of a situation for this too he has to get his N400 asap as some pressing requirement of subsequent 130 etc for other person--not loose time situation (What if he doesn't get all this is different problematic story later).
Because of his requirement he needs to apply and assessing what are his risks to the possible solutions otherwise.
He preferrs to apply(as epxlained above) as far as possible with traffic pending ticket but he can explain/convince his post N400 trip to IO later which he is taking up due to exigency and he will have docs. for that.
In the above what are the advises please.Can he apply now or CIS will deny his application or keep it endless pending of the application.

Your question has already been answered several times above. You friend can file an N-400 application now and answer "yes" to Q16 in section 10. This will not in any way delay or jeopardise his N-400 application and he wil not have any problems whastoever, as long as the time of the interview he will have a proof of payment and proper disposition of the ticket.

About minor traffic tickets, I just got interview letter today along with N-659 (Naturalization Interview Document Check List) and on the second page there is a note paragraph 10

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver license.

About minor traffic tickets, I just got interview letter today along with N-659 (Naturalization Interview Document Check List) and on the second page there is a note paragraph 10

NOTE: Unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related or serious personal injury to another person occurred you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver license.

That is exactly correct and "A guide to naturalization" says the same thing. For minor traffic tickets you do not need to submit documentation related to their disposition, but you still have to mention them on N-400.

That is exactly correct and "A guide to naturalization" says the same thing. For minor traffic tickets you do not need to submit documentation related to their disposition, but you still have to mention them on N-400.

I didn't mention it on my application, but I will report them on interview.
Also i didn't mention about arrests in my COP, based on arrests and prosecutions I was granted asylum back in 2003.
I didn't mentioned because I was told to so, I went to Immigration Attorney especially to get answer for those questions, she told me just check mark NO, because it's in your asylum case and they should aware of it.
Regarding traffic tickets she said that if it's a regular parking/speeding etc you don't need to report them. All others like reckless driving DUI and other major violations should be reported.

Yes I had tickets for speeding but few days ago I checked my driving records for last 3 years I have no violations at all. Im gonna print it out and bring to Interview anyway, also I will talk to IO about my arrests back in my country. I don't know what to expect(((( I have interview on October 22nd and already start getting nervous.:(