Traffic citations over 9 years old. Should I mention on N-400 form?

dzongrila007

Folks, I've got a question as I get ready to submit my application for US citizenship. I did get a ticket for speeding back in November of 2016. Then another camera ticket around 2009. But it didn't affect my Green Card which I got in January of 2011. So my question is should I mention about these citations on the N-400 form? I don't want my case to be denied because I didn't mention this information. But not sure whether it'll be prudent to mention them since they happened long time ago and the records are kept only for five years. What will you advice?

I certainly did mention two citations I received. None of them were over $200, and one of them 11 years before i applied for citizenship. The camera tickets are issued to car owner. If you are not the car owner or you were not operating the car when the camera ticket was issued, you don't have to disclose it.

Thanks for the responses. I found a link on the USCIS website.

It says unless the incident is alcohol or drug related, I don't need to submit any documentations for traffic fines and incidents that didn't involve an actual arrest and if the fine was less than $500.

Unfortunately, I don't have any records of it since it happened so long ago. I'll contact the local motor vehicle division tomorrow, but I am not sure if I can obtain the records for an incident older than five years in the state of AZ. That's what I gathered when I Googled.

I am leaning more towards not mentioning it on the actual application. If the IO asks me during the interview, I will say since it happened so long ago and I got my GC after that, I assumed I don't need to mention it.

I am leaning more towards not mentioning it on the actual application. If the IO asks me during the interview, I will say since it happened so long ago and I got my GC after that, I assumed I don't need to mention it.

What is the actual phrasing of the question? Is it one of the ones that starts with “have you EVER....”? Or is there actually leeway in how it is phrased to let you decide it’s not important enough to mention?

What is the actual phrasing of the question? Is it one of the ones that starts with “have you EVER....”? Or is there actually leeway in how it is phrased to let you decide it’s not important enough to mention?

The related question begins with "have you EVER.. been arrested, cited, or detained..". Most N400 Additional Info questions are phrased that way.
If OP paid the fine and admitted guilt, s/he should answer "Yes".

OP. If your traffic citation should come up
And you were to answer the way you answered here. I can see a traffic ticket. That wouldve been harmless if mentioned on the application. Instead of you saying you don't think it was important enough to mention. Remember IO is there to determine if you meet the criteria of having Good Moral. You'll just have him speculate. Hey what else is this guy not telling me that he thinks is not important . Just disclose the ticket dude!!!!

Yes, that's what I am going to do. Thanks everyone. Got my driving history record from DMV this morning. There is just one violation from 12 years ago. Called up the court where I had paid the fine. They can see my name in their database, but don't have any other info like how much the fine was since it was too long ago and the electronic info has been destroyed. Talked to USCIS too and mentioned the same. They also asked me to just mention the date, type, place of the citation and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Just to clarify, I was initially leaning towards not mentioning it because the same USCIS has issued me GC 5 years after this said violation. That's the reason of my assumption. But I agree it's better not to 'assume', just answer the question truthfully as it's a different application.

However, I am not sure if can do anything else to obtain the record of the fine so that I can carry it to the interview. If the court where I paid the fine originally doesn't have it, can I get it from anywhere else like the third party companies who does background verifications?

Last edited: