tourist visa expired, what can i do?

janek

Registered Users (C)
hello,
my tourist visa for canada is almost 3 months expired, i wanted to visit my family in germany in may, but will i be allowed back to canada, as i am here for almost 2 1/2 years. i want to apply for PR when i am allowed back in.
i heard that there is no exitcontrol at canadian airports.
which problems am i facing?

thanks a lot:(

hi triple citizen,
sry, no not all the time on tourist visa, the first 1 1/2 years i had a work permit, wich i extended after but then i missed the deadline for the next extension, which was in october 2008, and since then i am without any visa here.

Wel you run the risk of being caught upon return. There is no exit control in Canada, so leaving Canada will not be an issue. The same cannot be said for your return.

sry, no not all the time on tourist visa, the first 1 1/2 years i had a work permit, wich i extended after but then i missed the deadline for the next extension, which was in october 2008, and since then i am without any visa here.

but what willl happen, if i return to canada, what exactly does being caught mean?
are there any other options i have, like still trying to apply for either PR or tourist visa from inside canda before i go?
like i said, i definetly want to return to canada, as my girlfriend is here and i established my whole life here.

Then, in my opinion, you both should marry and proceed with your PR based on that marriage. Once you obtain your PR status, only then think about leaving Canada for any travel.

i definetly want to return to canada, as my girlfriend is here and i established my whole life here.

puuhh, i am not sure if marriage is the best idea, as we both dont really want that, are ther no other possibilities.
lets say if i would go to germany, how would they check when i left the country and how long i overstayed, if they dont check at the leaving?

That is easy. Your last valid status according to CIC ended in October 2008. Departing flights supply passenger manifests to CIC. None of the flights that departed prior to your status expiring reported that you left Canada on a specific flight. Thus you are assumed to be still in the country. Now say you leave middle of March. A flight manifest will have your name and details. CIC will then learn that you have left Canada after 4.5 months of overstay. Thus when you attempt to apply for a visa they will know that you are an overstayer. I seriously doubt they will issue you a visa again.

lets say if i would go to germany, how would they check when i left the country and how long i overstayed, if they dont check at the leaving?

I gave you one option that I think will work for you. Consult a competent lawyer in Canada. There may be another way out. An hour long consulation may cost you $200-$250, but it will be worth it. Remember, you got yourself into this mess by not abiding by Canada's immigration regulations. As they say, you made your bed, now lie in it.

so basically there is no other way to have a legal status again?

your lawyer would help you a lot. before going back to the canada, tell him to process the documents before you arrive in Canada. Until its an schedule for meeting then this is the time you go back to Canada.