To take advtg of 180 day rule, is EAD or H1 the better option?

sxm24

Registered Users (C)
If you want to take advtg of AC-21 to change employers after 180 days, then is it better if you are in EAD or if you are on H1-status at that time? Thanks.

No Title

As I understand it EAD is a (slightly) better option. This preserves your H1 time. There are some implications with travel outside the US, specially if you do not have AP.

I am not a lawyer so I may be totally wrong on this topic.

No Title

I agree with ProActive. EAD seems to be better in AOS stage.
It allows you to take on any jobs you want.

ciba

Being on H1/L1 for the Sponsoring Company, can we work on EAD?

Eventhough EAD is a better option, I am not able to understand how can a person work for 2 Companies at a time? Most of the Laid off people are in a stage where their Sponsoring Employer is kind enough to keep them on rolls till 180 days by considering Leave without Pay. Then, can we use the EAD to work for another Company before 180 days?

No Title

Using EAD can preserve time for H1??? I don\'t think so! Why you want same time for H1? In case I-485 denial? If that is the case, you have little chance to go back to H1 status. So, the time left on your H1 is useless. You want to use EAD only because you don\'t have much time left on H1, so no choise.

Of course it is much easier to change job using EAD. But based on the new law, you can start working for the new company without H1 approval...

No Title

The I485 may be denied for lots of reasons, including the company going down. I do not think that you are automatically deported in this case - and maybe in others.

Also using the EAD greatly simplifies your job search, specially in this climate. You can focus on negotiating the salary and other financial aspects instead of focusing on that stupid visa. Even if you do not need the approval to start working, it is still one of the issues you need to put on the table.

Just my 2 cents.

No Title

Thank you ciba, proactive all others who responded. So, most of you seem to think being on EAD will make it easier for next job. But, sometime back i saw some posts, that said, employers do not "know" to hire people in ead. They dont understand that, and h1 is something they are aware of. Any experiences such as this?
Thanks.

I am also in this boat

I am very close to 180 days to complete on I-485, Using AC21 I am planning to change employer but lot of people are not understanding 180 days rule. Right now I am on H1 status only but I want use my EAD with new employer, after using EAD with new employer If I want can I switch over to H1-B?

No Title

no u cannot switch over to h1. If u use ead, then u have to continue on ead, which is still ok, I believe. (since u can extend ur ead after 1 year). Am i correct? Thx.