TN1 - Change of employer - have offer letter but no Letter of Support

utiwari

Hello,

I am a Canadian and have been working in the US as a software engineer/developer for the last 5 years under TN1. I am looking to change employers but all the employers who are willing to hire me and provide the job offer letter are not willing to provide me the Letter of Support that outlines why I am eligible for TN1. Can I myself (under oath) write such a letter or have an immigration lawyer write one on my behalf. I am having a hard time persuading the prospective employers. I have even sent them a copy of such letter that my current employer had provided me with. Not sure how to get around this issue. Please help. Thanks in advance!

They must provide the letter. It need not be complicated, as you know: job description, TN category if not obvious, length of employment not to exceed 3 years, manner of remuneration.

@nelsona, thanks for your response. I agree that it need not be complicated. In fact the sample letter (the one I got from my current employer) I sent them is a simple one, covering briefly the points you mentioned. But still I was not able to persuade them. I am not sure how to get around this issue. So far I have gotten four job offers and they were all taken back once I mentioned them that I would need a Support Letter. They were all full-time jobs. Wondering if this is a temporary situation due to the prevailing political atmosphere in the US. Wondering if others are also experiencing the same issue.

I guess I will have to keep trying in the hopes that someone will eventually be able to provide me the Support Letter. Or, maybe work through staffing agencies. Any other ideas, suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps not calling it a "support letter" might help. "Support" may be inferred as having some form of responsibility for you, and may sound too much like "sponsorship" which I'm sure all these employers are not interested in, regardless of the political climate.
We've always called it a "TN letter", or a border letter.

The I-129 section on TN, calls it
A letter from the employer stating the activity the beneficiary will be engaged in, the anticipated length of stay, and
the arrangements for remuneration
Showing them that might soften their stand. It's all about educating them. Since you are having problems with each of these employers, it may be your approach that is problem.

Last edited: