TN working remotely from Canada and payroll in USA

snehatest

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen working in USA on TN. I want to work from Canada for one year. My employer doesn't have company in Canada. Is it allowed to work from Canada remotely to US Company and Run the Payroll in USA? My TN Visa is valid until June 2023.

Thanks,
PP

You can work for your US employer from Canada - you do not need any authorization (i.e. TN) for that. If your employer does not have the Canadian counterpart for your payroll, you might want to request them to pay you on the basis of 1099, rather than W2.

Your income will be taxable by Canada (since you are a resident of Canada and working in Canada), and not taxable by the US (since you are neither a US citizen nor resident, nor working in the US). So whatever your company does with "payroll", they will need to withhold and pay the appropriate taxes to Canada, and not to the US.

This is not an immigration question, but a tax matter. This is better asked on forums.serbinski.com

@snehatest How are you handling it?
I will have the chance to work remotely also with a TN visa and I'm trying to inform myself but there is very few info over there.

I also want to know more about if Canadian can work remotely full time from Canada for a US position with TN visa. Some people saying thats fine, but few says its illegal.

When you are in canada, you are not on TN, nor do you need one. You are Cdn working in canada -- that is your legal authorization.

The problem is CRA does not accept Cdns working in canada being on a US payroll (ie. not having CPP, EI withheld through payroll.