ahmad_yous

Greetings,
I am Canadian citizen currently working in the US as a civil engineer. I am came across one position name " Advisory -construction" for a business consulting firm. The description of the role is to review construction contracts, arrange site visits and provide advisory on policies to improve construction process. I feel the job role matches what a civil engineer do. Even though the firm is not engineering firm and the role is advisory rather than engineer, my questions are:

1. Am I eligible to apply for this job and get a TN visa ? can this be considered part of the TN occupation as engineer even if the company is not engineering and title is not engineer while the description matches a civil engineer role?
2. Lets assume that I got rejected on the border when applying for TN visa to this job , does my current visa that I am holding right now for the current company declines as well? . In this case it will be less risky to try and see.

1. You are of course eligible to apply for the job. The question is whether it is a civil engineering job, or a management consulting job. You would likely qualify for either.
2. This should not affect your current TN. Remember to secure the second TN and keep the first until you are ready to quit. You can hold multiple TNs at one time.

1. You are of course eligible to apply for the job. The question is whether it is a civil engineering job, or a management consulting job. You would likely qualify for either.
2. This should not affect your current TN. Remember to secure the second TN and keep the first until you are ready to quit. You can hold multiple TNs at one time.
nelsona, can one get a TN visa for the next upcoming job while still on current job with H1B ?

No. You cannot "mix" statuses. The instant you are granted TN, you must stop working your H1-B job. You would need to get a TN for the original job if you wanted to continue (which employer would probably refuse to attempt).