TN Visa

Morkovka

Hello everybody,

I need your advice. Do you know if I qualify for a TN Visa?
- I am a Canadian citizen,
- MS degree in Civil Engineering from Russia (affirmed by the University of Toronto to be the equivalent of a degree between Bachelor’s and Master’s from a reputable Canadian university).
- Job offer from American Employer for Civil Engineering Technician position.

Thanks in advance.

Martina

Why would an Engineer accept a Technician job?

The fact that you are over qualified may arouse suspicion. Typical Technician jobs pay less then half of an Engineer job. Although not required by the NAFTA rules, you should verify that you are getting paid the ball park wage for the occupation. You can use O*Net.

If you apply under the engineer category then the supporting letter needs to state that you are hired in an Engineer job and you are paid an engineer wage level. If you opt of Scientific Technician then letter and wage must agree with the occupation.

Thanks

Thank you to DBEL and bzuccaro for replying: the information was very helpful! :)

DBEL, unfortunately I do not possess a provincial license... :( I currently live in Quebec, where it is very difficult to obtain (everything must be in French). Actually, during my three years of experience in Canada, I have worked as a technician, due to the poor job market and for the above reason.

Thanks again,

Martina

I got my “ing” from OIQ in 2000. Unless things have changed, it’s not that complicated.

Anyway, if the job is Technician apply in under Civil Engineering Technician (005.261-014). The letter should state that you work under the supervision or report to an Engineer.

Good luck!

Your job offer should be signed by a licensed professional engineer, with the position of as a civil engineering technician, salary, duties and responsibilities.

you are in the category as a scientific technician / technologist.

victorce79

EB3 PHILLIPINES
Canadian Citizen
PD 08/26/02
AP I-140 08/28/05
ND I-485 07/19/05
EAD 1 08/02/05
EAD 2 08/31/06
FP 09/02/05