TN Visa in Statistican Category

ealtinta

Hi,

I am interviewing for a data science position in the US, in which I need to perform statistical analysis, create models in R and Python etc.

I have the following questions.

1. Although I can see that these job tasks coincides with what a statistician do, is there a more authoritative source where I can check which job tasks USCIS expects for each job category?

2. I have a BS degreed in Industrial Engineering from outside of Canada and an MS in Operations Research from a US university. In the TN requirement for the Mathematician and Statistician category, it is written that a BS degree is required. Does my BS degree will meet this requirement if I get accrediation for it or do I need to have a BS degree in mathematics or statistics? Does my MS degree would have any benefit during my TN application?

Thanks,

1. Yes. The Occupational Outlook handbook from the Department of labor is the official source for job descriptions and classifications. Google it.
2. They can consider an MS degree, especially since that is the one that links to math. Your Engineering degree doesn't; the argument that engineers use math doesn't really hold in these cases. You should get your foreign degree evaluated, as an Industrial Engineering degree. To try and horseshoe this degree into some kind of math equivalent won't fly with immigration, and will raise suspicion about your entire application.