TN Visa for Part-Time Work in US

38off

Registered Users (C)
I am very familiar with TN for full time employment, doing this for years, multiple renewals (I know, technically not renewals, just new applications), however have not done this for part time work. Just about to start semi-retirement so want to work less. Talking with one attorney, they stated that CBP looks for a minimum hours (or minimum total pay) on the employment letter to make sure it is sufficient to live on, presuming so you aren't a burden on US society. I have 2 or 3 options for employment (maybe multiple TN applications), but difficult to determine hours for projects going forward and employers reluctant to sign up for guaranteed minimum hours when it might fluctuate. I do not know of anything in regulations or guidelines for CBP specifically on this.
Looking for anyone with experience or success on this topic (TN for part-time), more recent the better as we have all noticed changes lately.

How are you able to TN for so many years without being denied by immigration intension?

I dont think there is a need to mention it is a part time tho, cos no such requirement of info in the TN letter

Long story, but the immigration intent has never been challenged, I have residence and all my family in Canada.
Whether part time or full time needs to be mentioned or not, I have always mentioned salary in TN letter (I am certain that is needed), and with part time, there is no amount just $/hr. Also, this is different, because they are not "employing" me like in the past, they are contracting my work, all 1099 now.

Hello all TN holders, did not get answer to my questions so asking again. Anyone with experience on part time job and TN restrictions and applications?
Also, wondering about wording in the letter. In the past, for full time, used "employ". If I will be working part time as a consultant, is that wording valid still for the employer to include in the letter. Not sure they view me as an employee, more like a contractor or vendor (providing service).

You must get a TN, and you certainly can get a TN for part-time work, even as a contractor. You can have as many TNs as required, even as a contractor. Simply include the method of remuneration in the letter supplied by your sponsor/client.

OK, for those interested, a little update. My concern about minimum hours (detail brought up by attorney) turned out to be moot, my letter simply said part time, $xx/hr, nothing about minimum hours, and TN officer didn't question that. One item that did come up, almost killed the application, my new title with my ex employer, now part time employer was "Consultant". Even though degrees in chemistry and engineering, and application said work would be chemistry and engineering, the word consultant seemed to be a problem. Was approved anyway. Lesson to all - give yourself a different title, or don't even report the title.

Thanks for the update. That is what makes this forum very valuable. We all want to know what happened after the question was asked and answered.
This is another example of someone having multiple TN renewals (or subsequent new TN status approved)

By the way, I understand TN status does not have any minimum salary requirements. Unlike H1B, which the employer has to go through a "prevailing wage determination" with the DOL before applying for H1B, to determine the minimum salary that must be offered.
It is good practice to have the salary stated on the TN support letter, but there is no minimum.

As for the tip on job title, I understand it is required on the TN support letter. Just make sure it matches the TN role.

While there is no "minimum" salary, if one is intending to live in US under TN, the DHS will expect the earnings to be sufficient to live, and not give the idea that you will be looking for other (illegal) work. For 2nd and other additional TNs, this is not an issue, since the first one would have met that requirement. A lowball salary will also raise the suspicion that one is not doing the proc=fessional work described in the TN letter, but some lower clerical work instead.

So, salary does indeed matter.

Hi all!
I found this thread very insightful for the questions I currently have.
I am under a TN visa and just got offered a separate consultant job for a medical device startup.

My questions are
1) (I think I know the answer but want to ask again): Can I apply for a second TN visa for the consultant job? It should be "part time" and at a certain rate per hour (it'll be at most 5 hrs a week), so I think I can do it on top of my full time job)
2) Is it a problem if I will now have one full time and one part time TN visa?

any help is appreciated.

You probably should have started a new thread but there are no issues in having more than one TN. It really does not matter if it's part time or not.