TN visa for Assistant Professor

Engineerbabu

Hello all,
I have accepted an Assistant Professor position in usa and my job will commence from July 1st. Being a Canadian citizen, I understand from the uscis website that I need to get the TN visa which I can apply in the port of entry. I would really appreciate anyone can tell me when I should go to the border and apply for it. Any advice would really help me. I have done a lot of research and didn’t get similar case as mine.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
TN is an entry status, meaning you have to be on your way to the US to start working in order to receive TN at the US point of entry. If your family members are also Canadian citizens, they can travel with you and receive TD at POE; if they are not, they need to apply for TD at the nearest US consulate after you must have received TN.
Things to consider -
-Purchase your ticket to US and arrive at airport ~5h to your flight
-Request TN status when speaking to US immigration officer
-There is a $50 fee
-Have your degree certificate/transcript and credential evaluation, for instance WES (if degree was not obtained in US/Canada/Mexico), an updated resume and a Canadian passport.
-TN Letter from the College or University in the US. The letter MUST be addressed to the US Immigration located at your proposed border entry. It must also state the TN job classification you qualify for and the duration of employment (max of 3-yrs).
-Upon expiry, you can return to the border and renew. TN is renewable for ever but cannot be used as a de facto green card.
-You can apply for a green card at anytime you feel you want to make the US your permanent base.
-It is possible to go from TN to green card but it's safer to go through H1B or O visa because of the dual-intent clause forbidden on TN status
Send me a private message if you have any questions.
Mike.

Just to correct errors:
there is no need/use of a resume. If experience is being relied upon, letters from past associates )employers, clients, co-workers) is the only acceptable form of proof of the three-year experience.
There is no need for the letter to be addressed to any particular POE/PFI: DHS is sufficient.
The worker cannot apply for GC: a willing employer must sponsor the worker.

FYI - The worker can self-petition under EB1 or EB2-NIW if they have advanced degree, publications and some other perks.
Some POEs are picky and wants the letter specifically addressed to them. If you are leaving through Toronto Pearson, just simply adding this detail to the letter could save you a return trip to POE or flight change fee.