TN visa for a new graduate

MrCHR

First of all, thank you everyone for being so helpful and informative in this forum. I've tried to research the forum before posting here and learned a lot but unfortunately I am still not sure about some details.

Two years ago I graduated from University with a B.Comm degree in IT program that is specialized in Business Systems Analysis. Due to various reasons, until now I have never worked in the field but at this point I want to find a junior position and to start my way up. I am interested to live for some time in US and want to apply for some junior positions there.

From what I understand, my degree can qualify under the Computer Systems Analyst category and I should be able to obtain the TN visa. I would really appreciate if someone could clarify some things for me:

1. Based on my case, do you think I will have troubles to obtain the visa? (from what I understand, experience is not mandatory)
2. Do I have any chances in getting a junior position with a TN visa or employers usually ignore international applicants that have no experience?
3. What is the right sequence of tasks? Should I apply for visa first and then apply for jobs or vise versa? Do I need to present a valid job offer during the visa application?
4. Are there any major limitations in living and working under the TN visa in US? (switching jobs, buying a car, etc...)
5. If I want to clarify more details before driving to the border, is there a way to contact them over the phone? In general, do they answer questions?

For questions 3 and 4 I have seen answers on the web but they are contradictory. Therefore, I would like to clarify them here.

I am sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
1. It is possible to obtain TN without experience, I have met a people fresh out of masters program who obtained TN
2. It will be difficult. TN is usually for experience people with skills in demand.
3. You need job offer first. refer to this http://www.immigration.com/visa/tn-visa/tn-visa
4. Yes, switching jobs can be more difficult. Buying car is easy, but obtaining a car loan may be more difficult (due to no credit rating in US). Renting an apartment should be easy, but some private landlords may not want to rent to people on visa's.
5. No, they are very busy. Research on the internet. Lots of lawyers websites provide detailed information. http://www.immigration.com/visa/tn-visa/tn-visa.

Is that a communication's degree in IT ? If it is not a computer science or Engineering major, it may be hard to convince the officer at the border. You may want to list out the courses completed and highlight courses that directly match your job offer.

I think the most difficult part will be you getting an offer, the rest is paperwork and a bit of luck. I got a car loan 2 months after getting here, interest was high but I was able to refinance it 10 months later.

Is that a communication's degree in IT ? If it is not a computer science or Engineering major, it may be hard to convince the officer at the border. You may want to list out the courses completed and highlight courses that directly match your job offer.
This is your biggest issue. You will almost certainly need a very well crafted application materials to convince a border officer that a "Business Communications" degree is directly applicable to "Computer Systems Analyst"

Even with professional help... don't get your hopes up. These days the border agents are very challenging. Discretionary decisions are much more likely to fall against foreign applications.

2. Do I have any chances in getting a junior position with a TN visa or employers usually ignore international applicants that have no experience?
You certainly have a chance. Especially in today's tight labour market.

You're going to be at a huge disadvantage. Being a foreigner is strike #1, and having no industry experience is strike #2. Nonetheless, I got a TN in similar circumstances, even though it took me about 6 months of job hunting.

Thanks a lot guys for your input. I am not expecting it to be easy but I just want to know that I have a chance so I won't spend my time completely for nothing.
Regarding my degree, it is Bachelor of Commerce. I know that it is not B.Sc which would sound better but in general Systems Analysts must have good understanding in business.
Also, the idea of presenting the list of related courses sounds really good and I will definitely use it. Thanks!