TN Visa Engineer without degree but EIT License

JustJJ

I'm currently on a TN visa as a Structural Engineering Technologist for a company in Washington State. I have a diploma (3 year program) in Structural Engineering Technology and am working under a licensed engineer. I'm looking to switch jobs and have been interviewing for Project Engineer and Pre-Construction Engineer rolls with a few different companies. Since moving to the US and working under a licensed engineer I was able to submit my work experience and education to WA state department of licensing and gained approval to write the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (which I passed in 2020) and gain my certification as an Engineer in Training. Per the Washington State Department of licensing I am licensed as an Engineer in Training and have an associated license number that can be found on their website and falls under the program of "Engineers". I'm looking to apply for a new TN under the category of engineer with a new company for one of the above mentioned roles and just wanted confirmation that the border agents will deem me as qualified based on this license by WA state?
My two concerns are as follows:
1. The positions I am applying to are in Arizona. Will the border agents give me a hard time because my EIT license is in Washington State? The Arizona department of licensing states there is no requirement for me to register as an EIT so I didn't intend to, but I will eventually be applying for licensure through AZ once I have all my qualifying work experience and pass the PE.
2. Will the border agents have issue with my license being an 'in training engineer'? The requirements for engineering roles just state bachelors degree or license and does not specify any minimum licensure requirement, and an EIT is essential equal to someone who graduated from a degreed engineering program.
3. Will the border agents question my switch from technologist to engineer? (My explanation for this is essentially as stated above - I've gained appropriate experience and wrote exams to gain licensure and now I'm looking to transition into an engineering role and out of a technologist role. I would also note to them that my current technologist role has not changed).

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

1. where you enter US is unimportant. You job is in the state you have a license with, correct?
2. This could be a problem. I would not say that your license is equivalent to a new degreed engineer, because that engineer has a degree, and you may not have a true engineering license. , but why quibble, you will simply have to try at the border to find out. If you qualify as an engineer, then there is no reason why they would question the change in category. If it fails, you will just reapply with your current tech category, so don't quit your current job.

1. where you enter US is unimportant. You job is in the state you have a license with, correct?
2. This could be a problem. I would not say that your license is equivalent to a new degreed engineer, because that engineer has a degree, and you may not have a true engineering license. , but why quibble, you will simply have to try at the border to find out. If you qualify as an engineer, then there is no reason why they would question the change in category. If it fails, you will just reapply with your current tech category, so don't quit your current job.
Thanks for the quick response.
To further clarify-
1. The new job will be in Arizona. Current job and license is in Washington. It will take 6+ months to get an Arizona license so I will not have that prior to the TN application.
2. When I say equivalent I’m referring to what the state deems as equivalent education in order to gain EIT licensure- which is a 4 year degree from an ABET program or a combination of education and work experience equaling 4 years, and passing of the FE exam. Once you have either the appropriate education/experience you write the exam, and if you pass, apply for EIT certification.
My intent was to fall under the ‘engineering license’ category and not the bachelors category since I know they don’t consider equivalency.

I know this is a bit of a unique situation so the only way for me to get an answer might be to go to the border and apply, but I just appreciate any input you can provide since you seem rather familiar with these TN categories.

Just be aware that what a particular state deems equivalent and what DHS does could be entirely different. You may not even need a license to do your job.

As to WA license and AZ job, I don't think that will matter, since you aren't expected, when applying for TN, to have a license in a state you have never lived. This is similar to some of the medical categories, where DHS understands that you need the job first, then get the license for that state after.

Just be aware that what a particular state deems equivalent and what DHS does could be entirely different. You may not even need a license to do your job.

As to WA license and AZ job, I don't think that will matter, since you aren't expected, when applying for TN, to have a license in a state you have never lived. This is similar to some of the medical categories, where DHS understands that you need the job first, then get the license for that state after.
That’s fair. Thanks.

If I were to go down the path Scientific Tech again, my one concern is the fact that my direct supervisor has a Bachelors of Science in Construction Management and I’ve read on some other forums not specifally having a bachelors in ‘engineering’ has resulted in denials.

The operational outlook handbook states under education for civil engineers:
“Civil engineers typically need a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, civil engineering technologies, or a related field, such as constructio. Programs in civil engineering and civil engineering technology include coursework in math, statistics, engineering mechanics and systems, and fluid dynamics, depending on the specialty.”

So in my mind it shouldn’t be an issue, but yet other people have encountered issues in other engineering fields.
Thoughts?

The degree of the supervisor must be SCIENTIFIC, not merely a BS degree in something obviously Unscientific.

The degree of the supervisor must be SCIENTIFIC, not merely a BS degree in something obviously Unscientific.
I’m not really sure what you’re implying by saying ‘obviously unscientific’. Claiming that a construction management degree is unscientific is essentially stating that civil engineering in general is ‘unscientific’. Are you familiar with the field of civil engineering? Construction management is a branch of civil engineering; there is an entire professional licensure exam category for construction engineers..

Schools that offer bachelors degrees in construction management offer them as a part of the civil engineering faculty. Courses required for a degree include math, physics, structural analysis, design of steel, concrete, masonry, and foundations. All of which are rather ‘technical’ and align with other civil engineering programs.

Then they should lobby to change the title, because it sounds an awful lot like a project manager, and the DHS might agree.

if you are using Scientific Technologist Category, MAKE sure
A) your supervisor has PE license,
B) You are NOT supervising or managing anyone
C) Read Civil Engr. Technician duties from DOL website. make sure you will/are doing similar role.

I am a construction management MS from US, but could NOT apply in Engineering category so used Scient. Tech/Technician - Engineering and was ok. I was asked ABOVE questions. Read my original thread in OCT 2018.

if you are using Scientific Technologist Category, MAKE sure
A) your supervisor has PE license,
B) You are NOT supervising or managing anyone
C) Read Civil Engr. Technician duties from DOL website. make sure you will/are doing similar role.

I am a construction management MS from US, but could NOT apply in Engineering category so used Scient. Tech/Technician - Engineering and was ok. I was asked ABOVE questions. Read my original thread in OCT 2018.
Although I appreciate your input, you’re incorrect in saying that the supervisor must have a PE license- it is not a requirement. It’s a bachelors degree OR license.

As far as items B and C- I won’t be supervisor anyone and am familiar with both the OOH and O*Net descriptions. Duties are aligned and I’m not concerned on that front.

JustJJ so did you get your TN and can you share your border experience.
I got my TN today. Opted to go with the Sci Tech option as it was the more clear cut option. I ended up having to make two trips to the border as the officer requested some additional items, but everything went smoothly when I came back with the requested documents.

I have a 3 year diploma in Structural Engineering Technology from Canada and my supervisor has a 4 year Bachelor of Science in Construction Management.

TN documents provided included:
1. TN support letter stating maximum 3 years, scientific tech category, salary, and duties.
2. TN supervisor support letter outline his position, credentials, duties, and outline how our work is interrelated.
3. My diploma & transcript (official and copies)
4. His diploma (scan only)

Additional documents requested by officer
1. My resume
2. An amendment to my TN support letter stating which office I would be working out of (since they have multiple)
3. A document stating what my supervisors Major was in (his diploma only said Bachelor of Science)

After I gave the officer all the documents the second time around she went inside and came back out and asked me to verbally describe my duties to her. Once I did she was happy with everything and told me to come in and pay and get my passport stamped. Good for 3 years.

Happy to answer any other questions anyone might have