TN Visa Employer Transfer

Nick009

Hi folks,

Looking to get opinion on following situation -

I am Canadian and currently have a TN Visa with current employer A till 2021. However, I have gotten an offer from employer B for Jan 15 2019 start date. I plan to cross borders again on Jan 5 to get a new TN Visa for Employer B. Then I plan to give 2 weeks notice to my current employer A to leave Jan 21 and I also plan to start on Jan 15 for employer B. Can I do that - 1 week overlap? or should I give notice to employer A to leave before Jan 15? Should I be even discussing this with Agent at the border?

You are allowed to have more than one TN at a time. The only thing you need to make sure at the border is that you keep the paper I-94 for the first TN, and do not let the officer cancel it. Then you simply continue to work for 'A' until you (or they) wish you to leave. That TN will simply die on its own, you need do nothing after you leave 'A'.

Under no circumstances should you give notice to 'A', until you have secured the TN for 'B'.

Thanks for the info. I am a little confused. They gave me no paper for I-94 last time. They stamped in one of the pages of pp - DHS imprint and visa date and until when it is valid and Company Name. Matter of fact, I had to go to this website to "i94.cbp.dhs.gov" to grab the i-94 #. So you mean they shouldnt cancel that stamp out?

Yes, but you should also have a printout of your I-94. What did you give your employer as proof that you had gotten a TN?

just the photo of the stamp last time and gave them the i-94 number querying that website i mentioned above.

ok
I would still print it for your and their records. passports change and expire. But given your discussion, I would definitely TELL the officer that you are keeping TN #1 active.