TN Visa at Sumas WA

sp1976

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently in USA-Seattle area (was on L1B, laid off, finished 60 day grace period, submitted my L1B I-94 at border and entered back into USA twice after that)

Potential employer has hired a lawyer in Blaine and preparing offer letter, etc. for me to go for TN visa at Blaine WA truck POE OR Sumas WA crossing

Some of the below info was already posted here by me and was answered by NELSONA and others....but incase

My info-i have 5 yrs. specialized Diploma in Construction Technology (have send my diploma for US Civil Engineering Degree equivalency), US Masters, and have 18 yrs. of construction field experience between US / Canada projects. Since my degree is NOT in Engineering we are planning to use Sci.Tech/Technologist-Engineering category.

My concerns-

A) What will the CBP agent think when I park on the US side and just walk to the POE office and request processing for TN VIsa?

B)What is advisable- enter Canada, turn around, while entering US tell officer i am here for TN visa application?

C) Wife and kids are in BC- shall I also take them or go for visa first, I get it (hopefully) then go back to Canada and get them for their TD Visa.

D) Anyone has experience at SUMAS WA POE-i prefer that as my two L1B processing was done and was very fast-less than 1 hr- even mistake in I129 paperwork he corrected and processed my L1B extension- Apr 2018.

E) Will CBP consider me as OVER qualified looking at my Bachelors and Masters for above Scien. Tech/Techno. category ( I am not planning to show him that or mention)-but he may see my L1Bs in the system and find out about my Master's.

Any specific list of documents to take for above category.

When I entered US this week (Oct-03) CBP officer questioned me a lot why i am here even after L1B over, why its taking so much time to move etc. as he saw my car has WA license plate. I responded that I am slowing moving back to BC, going to check my house (i own it) and sort out more things, cut lawn before winter, put garbage etc. He scanned my passport, waited 10 secs. and then handed me over my passport.

All advice and suggestions are appreciated

Answering D) , recently two of my colleagues arrived via Sumas and both of them had a tough time. One was applying for the first time and the other was coming back from vacation. They both choose Sumas for the same reasons you mention, one because of past experience, and the other as they were probably told that it would be smooth.
Unlike some other members on this board, I feel the documentation is too straightforward to claim that some people prepare better than others. It is better to choose a border recently processing TN's without issues on the west coast.
Do come back and share your experience for the benefit of others .... Good Luck.

can anyone please post POE on WA/BC for TN experiences. i can go to any of them

Peace Arch(Blaine)
Truck crossing blaine
sumas
Aldergrove/Lynden

A,. you will drive up to the kiosk as usual, request TN and will be told to go inside.
B. You have to do that.
c. I would leave them for now
D. Focus on good petition, not particular POE.
E, This is not an interview, You need to meet the minimum.

Q: How are CBP letting you in as tourist now, since you have no home in Canada?

Nelsona, submitted my L1B I-94 during my 60 day grace period, entered twice into US as 'tourist' after that. When CBP asked where is home I said Canada and US. Upon her (first entry) and him (second entry) asked WHY, I answered-- we are in process of moving back, so I am going to sort stuff in my house, donate, dump etc. stuff we don want and packing, cleaning my home etc. while my wife and kids are in Surrey BC.

CBP officer questioned me more during my second entry on Oct 3 maybe because still my car has WA license plate and WA valid license. He did ask me YOU ARE NOT WORKING IN US right, i said NO, sorting my affairs, and depending where I find job in Canada (Vancouver or Toronto) will move out. Then he let me in.

I will follow your advice- enter Canada, turn around re-enter US and request for TN visa processing.

You were lucky to be let back in with no strings. Usually they eithr deny, or more frequently, issue you a short-term B2 I-94 (15 day).

NELSONA

i just saw my most recent I-94 it shows class of admission as L1 even though i told officer i dont work and gave my L1B status on sept 24

what shall i do now, so in CBP system it shows i am still on L1B,,,,,when i go for TN visa interview he will question me on this....

I am planning to stay put in US for now, when i go for my TN in next 10 days (may have to go and interview with client and wait for their approval).
If he CBP officer asks me I will respond that I mentioned to the officer while entering that i gave up my L1B status on Sept 24 and also mentioned same on Oct 3, I dont work and going to my home to sort my affairs......On Sept 24 When the CBP officer took out my i-94 and with pen crossed out my "L1B Admitted Unit" stamp I should have requested her to put date also...but i did not...now i regret..

Don't worry. get the new TN petition and go to the border. That will fix everything.

The potential employer is offering me a position in field / office with job title : OFFICE ENGINEER- CIVIL and a very simple job related duties with min. educational requirements of B.S. in Civil Engineering or Construction Management required. PE/CCM certification desired.

Other possible job title can be Construction Management Professional with NO min. edu requirement mentioned only work duties.

With my Bachelors degree is 'Diploma in Construction Technology" and then M.S Construction Management from US with 18 yrs. of work experience.
How can i relate this to any of the TN category / classification?
Any suggestions which is best suitable, TN category I was planning to use Sci. Tech./Technologist-Engineer (Civil)
Can CBP Officer see job title as "ENGINEER" and looking at my bachelors 'DIPLOMA-Const Techno' reject my TN?

The educational requirement that the sponsor lists are not important. It is the job DUTIES that determine the TN category, and thus the education requirements. In any event, since you don't meet those requirements, the letter should stay away from mentioning it. The job title isn't important either. The category and the job duties are what matter.

You should be applying for TN in SciTech, which in essence requires the sponsor to prove the your boss is eligible for a TN (they need to give CBP his credentials). You are not expected to be an Engineer -- your direct supervisor is. Otherwise you would be applying as an Engineer.

so your letter should state tha tyou are requesting SciTech TN, describe your duties, and the name/position to which you report, with the educational pre-equisites for that position.

The job duties are mostly similar as show in OOH for Civil Engineering Technician level as SciTech-Engr TN refers to that classification.
I have asked the employer who will be my IMMEDIATE supervisor, if I am based in office than not worried as all the managers have PE license. But if based on site /field dont know.

Have asked the employer to look into the Civil Engr. Techn job duties on
https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/17-3022.00#DetailedWorkActivities

Also in the job offer letter (i have yet to get/view, but with discussion with HR) they have two categories for employees -PROFESSIONAL ENGR / COnst. Managers -employees having minimum of bachelors in Civil or Management (I will be put in this category-as have MS). Second category- Technical / Inspectors- employees those dont have Bachelors degree. All this is mentioned in my offer letter and for SciTech the second category will be more suitable. Job Title is "OFFICE ENGINEER" HR confirmed that.

Also the letter does not mention any end date / term of employment, they never do. Should i request to add " The employment will be for no longer than three years term / duration". They agreed to add " MR.X will start the employment upon TN approval from the following business day"

I have read in the other post that CBP asks for Offer letter and TN letter. Employer has almost prepared the offer letter, but we are discussing about the TN letter addressed to CBP.

Rarely does the offer letter meet the requirements of TN letter, so offer letter is of little use. Shouldn't show it if you have TN letter, and usually not sufficient if you don't have TN letter. the offer letter is for you, not the border.

Get TN letter which has the minimal requirements, including TN category, job description (title not needed -- always associate the word Engineering with technician -- you are NOT an engineer, even less so for TN purposes.), remuneration, supervision detail since it is SciTech (obvioulsy you report to someone), and 3-yr maximum. The start date is assumed to be that day if none is stipulated.

then you provide your credentials at the border, such that you can prove that you "possess theoretical knowledge of discipline". no specific degree required, since SciTech is usaully for people without degree; what you described as your education should be sufficient.

ALL

I had sent my bachelors- Dip. in Const. Tech. got evaluated and was considered US equivalent to B.S in Construction Engineering

will this suffice to work in "ENgineering" TN Category or they consider "CIVIL" as part of engineering.
Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestion.
Company has hired a immg. lawyer as dealing FIRST time with VISA issues DHS/CBP. Will be meeting him today.

Where was your degree from? If it was from N America, and doesn't say engineering, I doubt if DHS will accept the alternate eval.
Too bad. he will no doubt screw it up.
Why don't you just write your own letter and have boss/HR sign it.

Last edited:
Nelsona I have shared your concerns and suggestions to HR.
Recently spoke with a TN applicant in Toronto area. He said CBP asked for company offer letter besides letter addressed to him. Lets see what lawer suggest ...

Thanks NELSONA
My degree was from India, have done 255 (230 CORE) credits in Bachelors compared to US Bach. of 120 -140credit.
The evaluator considered that as too high for any US Bachelors degree.
Will meet lawyer in the evening.
My plan is still go for Sci Tech. have asked EMployer- about my PE supervisor on the project site as most of my time will be there and they are mentioning project site in offer letter with the office engr, title.
I have a draft of Sci Tech-Civil Engr Technician related to OOH and the employer website had similar job description of the offered position.

My TN PACKAGE"
-LOTS & LOTS OF LUCK and PRAYING (my self and others):D:D:D
-TN COVER letter on employer letter head-addressed to (United States Department of Homeland Security & United States Customs and Border Protection)
-JOB OFFER letter on employer leter head-with my CAD address
-COPY OF PE License + Business Card (of my to be supervisor)
-EDU /DEGREES CERTS & EVALUATION REPORT
-MY RESUME
-JOB EXPERIENCE LETTERS-previous employers
-US$56 (Exact)

-FOR OCT 16 morning, WA POE

I think above should suffice for my TN application.

ALL

I have received my Offer and TN letter both

-TN cover letter addressed to United States Department of Homeland Security & United States Customs and Border Protection, Total of 3 pages, TITLE: Resident Engineering Assistant under ST/T-Engineering category, one para each for company description/intro, my experiences and education qualifications, my job description/duties, one sentence to whom i will report (NAME, title, copy of PE License), pay rate (one sentence), duration of "Oct 17 t oOct 16 2021 upto three years.

-I will be taking the TN cover letter (offer letter also but will keep with me) + Photograph (printed) of Supervisor PE License
-Resume
-Edu certs. (Diploma +MSc.), transcripts, edu. evaluation report dated Oct 15 2018
-Previous Job experience letters
-$56