TN Visa at LAX or other non-optimized processing POEs

tnvisanewbie

Hi everyone,

I am a first time TN applicant and am trying to figure out the best way for me to organize my travel. I am currently not in Canada or the US because of the COVID pandemic and am living with family in Asia. Normally, I would think flying directly from Asia to Los Angeles (LAX), where my job is, would make the most sense (and is the cheapest flight costs wise right now), but I haven't read too many experiences where people have applied for TN at the Los Angeles border. Does anyone have any experience to share? Most of the posts I'm reading here and on other forums will apply for TN at the optimized processing POE's or by land border. Are there any air POE's that have been successful for people? Or do people recommend that I try to take a flight to LAX with a layover at YVR (vancouver) instead, but $$$ flights, which may also be better in case I get denied at the LAX border, and at least then I can request the airline to send me back to vancouver where I have a friend to stay with, instead of all the way back across the ocean?

Open to any thoughts or suggestions, thank you in advance! Also would love to know how to prove my "non-immigrant intent" given that I don't have bank accounts/investments in Canada... I have them in Asia with my family, would that work?

The major US airport are able to deal with TN applications. Just make sure your application is air-tight.

There is NEVER a need to prove ties in any foreign country to get TN, let alone Canada. TN allows for living in US (unlike tourist, student, etc).

Thanks so much nelsona! With regards to my "air-tight" application, is it certainly a denial at the border if my job offer is contingent on health screening (physical exam), and/or background check? I'm looking for ways to get around getting these done abroad, because it is simplest to do in the US and required for my employment, but obviously I cannot enter the US without having TN status.

The sponsor's "onboarding" process is between you and your sponsor. The POE is only interested in your TN letter (not how you get it) and your educational credentials. You could enter US on B status if it part of the interview/hiring process, and then go to border and get TN.

Don't worry about applying for TN at LAX. Every POE can process a TN.

You may have to wait longer while they figure it out is all.