TN visa as software engineer with computing science degree

anywayok

I drove to Calais POE on Oct 25 from Halifax. Very few people applies for TN visa. It was easy at first when I met a lady officer. she was nice and asked a few questions like what’s the job title, where you go, is first time to apply, how long have been in Canada, why apply before the starting date etc. I handed in all the documents I prepared including TN letter from employer, employment offer, some emails from employer regarding enrollment to HR system, my degree, official transcript, previous employer reference letter, my working experience and also a letter indicating software engineer is engineer from online. Then I was asked to wait when she went to her supervisor. Things turned to little complicate. after 20 minutes she was back to ask me write down my daily duties and percentage of each part. Then I was waiting with anxious.
I was asked to confirm contacts from my employer. After two and half hours, I finally got the TN visa stamped. But it was 1 year, officer said employer TN letter only indicates the starting date no end date.

There are lot of success stories. Only reason for the failure is your document does not fully support. Computer science is not engineer, but software engineer doesn't really need a engineer degree and there is no such designation for software engineer. As long as you can prove what you really do is related to the title.