TN Visa and flying from YUL->YVR->Seattle. At which airport do I go through pre-clearance?

tn_glide

Hello, I plan to relocate from Montreal to Seattle in the coming weeks, with a connecting flight in Vancouver. Will I go through pre-clearance at Montreal or Vancouver?

Also, is there an optimal time of the day to go through pre-clearance maximize to my chances of success? My current flight is departing at 8am on a Sunday and I have USCIS pre-approval, an engineering degree and an engineering job offer.

Thank you!

At YUL (Montreal) you will go through normal security. At YVR (Vancouver) you will go through CBP pre-clearance before you board your connecting flight to SEA (Seattle) . When asked for the purpose of your visit request TN status. Show your I-129 / USCIS pre-approval notice. It should take 15 min or so plus any line up. If you miss your connecting flight due to CBP delays the airline should put you on the next connecting flight, if the next flight is the next day, they should put you in a hotel at no cost to you, since the delay was not your fault it was CBP (US customs).
If you have a four year engineering degree from a Canadian University and the TN role is an engineering role, you are "golden", no concerns.
I am not sure about your checked luggage. Over the years they have changed the process. Sometime you check you luggage to final destination, other times your luggage is only checked to YVR, you must pick it up at the luggage carousel, and take it with you through US customs then check ti for your final destination to SEA. Call your airline to confirm.

Amber, I've never heard of CBP paying for hotel due to their delay. They have no responsibility on this, nor does the airline.
AlsO, I think the practice of having to pick up luggage to go through customs for connecting US flights has ceased at most airports.

As I already suggested, call your airline to confirm.
If you miss your connecting flight due to US customs delay, the airline will put you on the next connecting flight at no cost to you.

Agreed, the next flight, I didn'deny that. I said they will not put you up for the night for that reason however.

Does it also apply if someone renew a tn visa? Would the thorough security and documents check happen in Vancouver?