TN VISA Accountant with Finance Degree (Recent Graduate)

oo2x

Hey Everyone,

I got an offer from a US employer as a Accountant for a new business however, I do not possess any previous specific accounting role rather I had few years of experience in a finance/analyst positions. Under the NAFTA professional list, it states a qualified accountant needs a degree in accounting or a related field. Would the CBP consider someone with a finance degree with several accounting courses eligible for a TN Visa? Thanks.

Be careful, the qualifications for accountant are "Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or C.P.A., C.A., C.G.A., or C.M.A.". The concept of "related degree" is nowhere in the official wording for any TN category. It is practice however to have the officer evaluate on the spot whether your transcripts are "close enough" for you to be granted a TN under the accounting category, since you do NOT possess an accounting degree or one of the other professional accreditations.

So you will need to make the case at the border that your courseload was heavily weighted in accounting.
As you realize, your experience doesn't count.

Be careful, the qualifications for accountant are "Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or C.P.A., C.A., C.G.A., or C.M.A.". The concept of "related degree" is nowhere in the official wording for any TN category. It is practice however to have the officer evaluate on the spot whether your transcripts are "close enough" for you to be granted a TN under the accounting category, since you do NOT possess an accounting degree or one of the other professional accreditations.

So you will need to make the case at the border that your courseload was heavily weighted in accounting.
As you realize, your experience doesn't count.

Thanks for the response! I guess in this case, it would be difficult for me to get TN for accounting since my accounting courses does not weight my finance courses. What if I can get my employer to change the job title to a financial analyst with somewhat related duties as an accountant (or not)? Reading from OOH, a financial analyst is categorized as a economist with a wider focus such as accounting, finance, and economics. Would by chances be greater to get TN if the job title were to be a financial analyst with a finance degree?

Thanks for the response! I guess in this case, it would be difficult for me to get TN for accounting since my accounting courses does not weight my finance courses. What if I can get my employer to change the job title to a financial analyst with somewhat related duties as an accountant (or not)? Reading from OOH, a financial analyst is categorized as a economist with a wider focus such as accounting, finance, and economics. Would by chances be greater to get TN if the job title were to be a financial analyst with a finance degree?

Would you mind coming back to update here?