sam.st

Hi, I'm a 29 yo Mexican TN Visa holder in the IT area.

I'm currently employed by a consultant company (Company A) that provided the offer letter to come here. This company offered to sponsor the H1B visa after the first year which happens to be around these days.

Now, the company where I actually work as a consultant (Company B), is offering me a full time position and asking if i have any visa restrictions. And here are my questions:

-Can I apply for the H1B visa with Company B while keeping my TN status with Company A? Do I have to report it or is there a way for them to find out if I do it?

-Can I ask Company B to request my TN visa and work with them as a full time in case that I quit or get fired from Company A?

This with the intent of applying for the GC in the future, but is my understanding that most of the companies try to force in the TN -> H1B -> GC path, so I rather take this direction from now.

If this question has been asked before, I will appreciate the way to find it in the forum.

Any related experience is welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help, comments and time.

You can apply for H1-B at any time. Once you begin working in H1-B (typically Oct 01) you losse the TN immediately, as you cannot hold two different statuses.
If you need a TN with Company B in the meantime, you certainly can change to them at any time.

Thank you for your reply. I guess in my head that sounds much more complicated that it really is.

Thank you again!