TN-TD holders eligible to have Healthcard in Ontario?

CanadaIndianGuy

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Me ( TN holder) and my wife ( TD holder who is never been to Canada yet) are planning to go to Toronto for her Landed Immigration process.

1) I am wondering , whether she is eligible to apply for healthcard in Ontario along with the SIN Card. I have kept a mailing address at a friend's house in Toronto.
2) If the Landed immigration officer asks her whether she has got plans to live in Canada Or she is going back to US, what should be her answer if we are returning to US within Five Days for my job and her school? Do we need to take any precautions while answering this Or they just can not deny/ Delay her Landed immigration because she have got the CIC approval letter and the Landed immigration form being a spouse of a Canadian.
3) Even my Quebec healthcard was expired couple of years ago, and then I lost it. When I went to get my healthcard in Ontario a year before, she told me to come back when I return from USA and produce a Firm Canadian job letter. Of course I have got a health insurance in US. But if I return to Canada, in case I loose the US Contract job It would be important to have a Healthcard in case of any emergency. What do the TN holders usually do, when they loose their Healthcard while being in USA?

Please answer this as per best of your knowledge. Thanks!

Unless the two of you are going to be living in Ontario, you aren't eligible for OHIP. Your permanent home must be in Ontario, and you must spend 153 days in Ontario in any 12 month period to avoid losing your coverage. TN holders who move from Ontario to the USA lose OHIP coverage whether they have a card or not.

And I strongly urge you not to lie during your landing process. If you are asked if you are going to live in Canada or the USA you must tell the truth.

Technically, you should relocate back to Canada when your wife lands. However, you can have her land a bit before you move back to Canada. Say, a month or two before your current TN expires. You should tell the Canadian custom that your TN is about to expire and your work in US is about to finish, and you'll return to Canada before your TN expires. The Canadian custom will let your wife in, process her immigration document. However, to obtain the permanent resident card, she's supposed to actually live in Canada. The Canadian custom will probably issue your wife a temporary visa which allows her to only enter Canada from USA at land crossing before she gets her permanent resident card. In order to obtain a SIN, she needs to have her permanent resident card and a Canadian permanent address.

.... The Canadian custom will let your wife in, process her immigration document. However, to obtain the permanent resident card, she's supposed to actually live in Canada. The Canadian custom will probably issue your wife a temporary visa which allows her to only enter Canada from USA at land crossing before she gets her permanent resident card. In order to obtain a SIN, she needs to have her permanent resident card and a Canadian permanent address.

We are actually flying to Toronto. Based on what you have mentioned, can I understand that Canadian Immig authority on Airport will give her a Landed immigration status. but she will Not be able to get a PR card, nor she would be able to apply a SIN number. I had learnt earlier that, a Canadian PR can stay away from Canada for 2 years Out of 5 years and can still maintain her PR status. Wouldn't it be applicable in her case either? Well, I have automatically switched over to H1 now since Oct 1st. But, it does not show up anywhere on passport. So, for Canadian authority, can I still say that I am currently working as TN holder in US? And, my TN was supposed to be expired in Apr 09. Whereas my New H1 will expire in 2011. So, it would be safe to tell them about TN rather than H1? Is there any way they can find out about my Real status in USA?

Is there no way she can get her PR card, if we give a Permanent address to Canada Immig. on airport? I can always say, she will travel back and forth from US to Canada before I ultimately return to Canada sometimes before my TN expiry date which is Apr 09.

What would you advise here please??

Cdn Prs are NOT required to live in canada after landing. Such 'round the flagpole' landings are quite common, regardless of how irksome it may seem.

All that is required is that one show up within 3 years of landing.

Well, I have automatically switched over to H1 now since Oct 1st. But, it does not show up anywhere on passport. So, for Canadian authority, can I still say that I am currently working as TN holder in US? And, my TN was supposed to be expired in Apr 09. Whereas my New H1 will expire in 2011. So, it would be safe to tell them about TN rather than H1? Is there any way they can find out about my Real status in USA?

Is there no way she can get her PR card, if we give a Permanent address to Canada Immig. on airport? I can always say, she will travel back and forth from US to Canada before I ultimately return to Canada sometimes before my TN expiry date which is Apr 09.

Once again I advise you not to tell any lies to any immigration officer, ever. If they ask about your status in the US, assume they already know the correct answer, and tell the truth.

When your wife lands in Canada, the custom officer will give her an application form for the PR card. They'll tell you after you return to Canada and establish a permanent address, you can fax in that form and they'll mail you the PR card to your permanent address in about a month. However, they may not be able to verify whether the address you provide on your form is your permanent address or not. It is up to you how you want to play it. As for the 2 year residence restriction, it does not apply to your wife since she is accompanying you in US. As long as you can prove that you live in US (H1B or TN is sufficient to prove that), your wife can stay in US with you without losing her PR status in Canada. You can find this info on Canadian Immigration and Citizenship web site.

We are actually flying to Toronto. Based on what you have mentioned, can I understand that Canadian Immig authority on Airport will give her a Landed immigration status. but she will Not be able to get a PR card, nor she would be able to apply a SIN number. I had learnt earlier that, a Canadian PR can stay away from Canada for 2 years Out of 5 years and can still maintain her PR status. Wouldn't it be applicable in her case either? Well, I have automatically switched over to H1 now since Oct 1st. But, it does not show up anywhere on passport. So, for Canadian authority, can I still say that I am currently working as TN holder in US? And, my TN was supposed to be expired in Apr 09. Whereas my New H1 will expire in 2011. So, it would be safe to tell them about TN rather than H1? Is there any way they can find out about my Real status in USA?

When she lands, she needs to give Canadian address so they can mail you PR card that address. This address can be you friends or relatives address.

When I landed in 2004, I was on H1 in USA. Immediate, after landing I moved back to USA and after 3 months I moved to Canada permanently. I gave my relatives address to mail PR card.

Visit this link for information about landing experience.

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?FORUM_ID=21&TOPIC_ID=11516

...TN holders who move from Ontario to the USA lose OHIP coverage whether they have a card or not.

Not completely correct...

Any Ontario resident who moves to US for work/school (not visiting), can retain OHIP coverage by filling out the declaration form at an OHIP office BEFORE leaving the country.

That is what I did, and I was given a "package" to bill the OHIP for any medical expenses, which would have been paid at the Canadian rate. (not US rates)..luckily, I have never had to fill out these forms <<knock-on-wood>>

Hi all,
Me ( TN holder) and my wife ( TD holder who is never been to Canada yet) are planning to go to Toronto for her Landed Immigration process.

1) I am wondering , whether she is eligible to apply for healthcard in Ontario along with the SIN Card. I have kept a mailing address at a friend's house in Toronto.

IIRC,
- you have to be a resident for 90 days to qualify for the OHIP card
- PR card is not mailed (you have to pick it up)
- You can apply for SIN Card from day 1, and it will arrive in mail @ the address you provide

2) If the Landed immigration officer asks her whether she has got plans to live in Canada Or she is going back to US,

Why would he ask this?...All I got when I landed in Canada was a welcome package and a big smile...

The key part is that she is a spouse of a CANADIAN CITIZEN...(not a PR-card holder), so they CANNOT DENY her

HINT--> You holding a Canadian citizenship does magic for this process.:D

3) Even my Quebec healthcard was expired couple of years ago, and then I lost it. When I went to get my healthcard in Ontario a year before, she told me to come back when I return from USA and produce a Firm Canadian job letter. Of course I have got a health insurance in US. But if I return to Canada, in case I loose the US Contract job It would be important to have a Healthcard in case of any emergency. What do the TN holders usually do, when they loose their Healthcard while being in USA?

a) read my response to Bill_S above
b) There's nothing to do except establish Canadian residency for 90 days (i.e. get a job, lease, bank acct etc), since you did not declare your move the last time.

hint--> if you declare, and eventually return to Ontario, you get a waiver for the 90 day residency requirement

Just a clarification on the rules for OHIP coverage while living outside Canada.
Indeed one can apply to maintain coverage even if they will be out side canada for more than 212 days in a year (153 days is the required presence for OHIP).

However, to avail yourself of this right, you MUST have meet the 153-day eligibility period the both of last 2 years.

So a new immigrant would not be able to get the OHIP card after 90 days, and then request the temporary absentee coverage to move back to the US.

So, I would not be worrying about OHIP until ready to move to canada permanently. The coverage provided by your employer will far outweigh what OHIP coverage would pay, anyways.

and as was mentionned, mere possession of a health card does not mean that one is covered by OHIP. Unless one has formally requiested (before leaving Ontario) for such coverage, the card dies the day you move away.