TN Renewal

isabel18

Hi

I am a Canadian Citizen working in the US on TN. Just wanted to check with folks on this forum whether in-person travel to the border for TN renewal is still on and allowed...my TN is expiring 01/31/2021. I have always had my TN renewed by going to the border in-person(Rainbow border) ...but in these covid times not sure whether that is allowed.

What are the other ways to get TN renewed.

Please let me know

Thanks

Hi

I am a Canadian Citizen working in the US on TN. Just wanted to check with folks on this forum whether in-person travel to the border for TN renewal is still on and allowed...my TN is expiring 01/31/2021. I have always had my TN renewed by going to the border in-person(Rainbow border) ...but in these covid times not sure whether that is allowed.

What are the other ways to get TN renewed.

Please let me know

Thanks

You can go to any border for getting your TN renewed, it is allowed, many members of this forum went and renewed at the border during COVID.

My TN is also going to expire around your TN expiration date. I am also planning to go to Peace Bridge/Windsor-Detroit Tunnel POE for renewal.

You have another option of extending your status while staying in US is by filing I-129 with USCIS (your employer have to file).

Thanks.

how does the filing of the I-129 with the USCIS work...would the I-129 be mailed to you ...or do we still have to show up somewhere to present our documents? Is there any additional cost for this option and what is the time frame?

Thanks.

how does the filing of the I-129 with the USCIS work...would the I-129 be mailed to you ...or do we still have to show up somewhere to present our documents? Is there any additional cost for this option and what is the time frame?

I-129 has to be filed by your employer, you have nothing to do. Once approved, your employer will receive an approval notice with I-94 attached to it. Your employer will provide you the approval notices, you can simply tear of the I-94 and stick it to your passport.

All the cost associated with the petition will be borne by your employer. I heard few employers may get this back from the employee, but its not very prevalent.

Time frame, varies, now a days, they might be taking longer because of reduced resource capacity due to COVID

Thanks for the quick response.

I have another question ..I am reading in this forum that TN's can be issued/renewed at the airport too..

If I want to renew my TN at the airport - would I be doing it at the Canadian Airport before taking the flight to US or would it be at the US airport after landing ..

If it has to be done at the Canadian Airport for e.g. YYZ ...how should I go about it ? ...I mean where should I go first ?..how should I let them know that I want my TN to be extended ...

Can someone who has had their TN issued/renewed at YYZ please advice..

Just trying to figure out different options for getting it renewed..

Thanks

If you are flying from canada (unless from a small airport), the process is done in canada.
You go thru US immigration and customs like any other traveler, and request entry on TN when you get to the agent. They will probably send you to secondary inspection, where you will present your paperwork (same as at border), answers a few questions, and wait for a result. So make sure you plan to get to customs at least an hour before your flight.

Thanks Nelsona!!!

Am still deciding which option to go by ...since Canada now has strict measures in place now.

CDN91 - Please provide your feedback about the steps or any issues if any ...after your visit to the border for your TN renewal.

Yes, it would be best to drive to the border from US rather than fly into canada and back due to recent requirements for covid test, which you would not need at the land entry.

Thanks Nelsona!!!

Am still deciding which option to go by ...since Canada now has strict measures in place now.

CDN91 - Please provide your feedback about the steps or any issues if any ...after your visit to the border for your TN renewal.

Here my experience:

Yesterday, I went to Peace Bridge POE (Buffalo, NY) to get the TN status extended (since its at the border, its new application) and the new TN got issued for 3 years along with TDs for my wife and kid matching my TN validity period.

Both on the Canadian Side and US side, officers asked one or two questions like where I live and purpose of visit - nothing else - fairly straight forward

While issuing TN, the officer asked few questions on the job description, I explained all of it and then he took finger prints and issued the TN and TDs for my wife and kids.

If you decide to visit Border for renewal, just tell the officers on the both sides that your visit is to get your TN renewed/issued.

CDN9, do you go inside the office at Peace Bridge for the interviews or is there any restriction due to COVID19 (Park outside and give the docs etc). I am planning to visit soon for a new TN at Peace Bridge.

CDN9, do you go inside the office at Peace Bridge for the interviews or is there any restriction due to COVID19 (Park outside and give the docs etc). I am planning to visit soon for a new TN at Peace Bridge.
yes, I did go inside. There are around 10 officers sitting there. One of them called me and asked for all the docs, verified and then issued the TN and TD
If you are planning, go between 8 AM and 4 PM

Here my experience:

Yesterday, I went to Peace Bridge POE (Buffalo, NY) to get the TN status extended (since its at the border, its new application) and the new TN got issued for 3 years along with TDs for my wife and kid matching my TN validity period.

Both on the Canadian Side and US side, officers asked one or two questions like where I live and purpose of visit - nothing else - fairly straight forward

While issuing TN, the officer asked few questions on the job description, I explained all of it and then he took finger prints and issued the TN and TDs for my wife and kids.

If you decide to visit Border for renewal, just tell the officers on the both sides that your visit is to get your TN renewed/issued.

I am in the US under L1A visa but got a new offer and will need to change visa to TN. I am thinking to go to Peace Bridge POE (Buffalo, NY) to get the TN status issued. My question is, when you cross the boarder to Canada, do you need to quarantine for 14 days or a PCR test? Can you just cross hte boarder and re-enter the US on same day?

I am in the US under L1A visa but got a new offer and will need to change visa to TN. I am thinking to go to Peace Bridge POE (Buffalo, NY) to get the TN status issued. My question is, when you cross the boarder to Canada, do you need to quarantine for 14 days or a PCR test? Can you just cross hte boarder and re-enter the US on same day?

You just cross the border, once you reach CBSA Officer booth, tell the officer that you came for status change and you will take a U turn and return back to US. Since, you are not going into Canada, you do not need to quarantine.. however, if any quarantine rules are applicable for your state in the US, those you need to follow in the US. Nothing in Canada

Thanks for sharing your experiences ..however I am in the US and with the new restrictions in Canada ...all my original documents are in Canada don't find it safe to get someone to send my originals to US ...my TN expires on 30th Jan 2021 ...and the employer has decided to file for TN extension online ...this is the first time that it's being done this way ...has anyone had any success with online extension ...how long does it take ...?

If you prefer to MAIL an I-129 (there is no online filing at this time), then be prepared to wait. Waiting is not a problem for renewals, since you do not need the approval to keep working, as long as you SUBMIT the I-129 before your current status expires.

I-129 is VERY common, as almost all workers need to file this. TN is one of the few that doesn't require I-129 , but can be done; and has been done regularly by folks on this forum. $460 is the current fee. There is no need to apply for rapid "premium processing" for a renewal.

Thanks Nelsona ..well i am not aware of an I-129 ..just trying to understand ..so an I-129 has to be filed before the expiry of my TN ... and you are saying that a TN approval cannot be filed/obtained online?...so once an I-129 is filed does a TN still have to be filed ?

How long can I continue to be in the US on a I-129 ? what is the purpose and duration of an I-129? is it a substitute for TN?

Thanks Nelsona ..well i am not aware of an I-129 ..just trying to understand ..so an I-129 has to be filed before the expiry of my TN ... and you are saying that a TN approval cannot be filed/obtained online?...so once an I-129 is filed does a TN still have to be filed ?

How long can I continue to be in the US on a I-129 ? what is the purpose and duration of an I-129? is it a substitute for TN?
Filing the I-129 is the request to extend your TN status. All of the TN documentation goes with the I-129.

If your I-94 expires while the I-129 is being processed, you can continue to legally work for the same employer for up to an additional 6 months, or until the I-129 is denied, whichever comes first.

It's an additional 240 days, but otherwise is correct. Isabel, it has been a month since I-129 was mentioned to you. It is in your best interest to educate your self on the process, as no one is more invested in your situation than YOU.

A little research would go to waste....

That's true Nelsona !!! I never realized my situation would come to the extent of filing via I-129 ...my employer/agency took it so easy...they were waiting on the PO from the client to know whether the contract would really get extended ...

Hello, I am working with one employer and have TN visa for next two years, but now I changed employer and they filed TN - premium processing yesterday, how long usually it takes to get receipt and final approval?

USCIS says 15 calendar days but anyone received early in a week or two?