TN Renewal Letter

klee1986

I am on my first TN which expires January next year. I will be in Canada next week so I'm hoping to renew when I come back to the States, just in case I will be busy then.
I'm having trouble explaining to HR how to word the length of employment for TN purposes in the renewal letter. Probably because I don't understand it very well myself. In my first TN offer letter, they said my employment is effective January 4, 2016 to January 4, 2019. For the renewal, do they again say my employment is effective October 28, 2018 (the date I will be returning to the States) to October 28, 2021? I may be overthinking this but I'm having trouble reconciling the TN requirements with how it looks on paper and in reality. Can someone share how their renewal letters are worded with respect to the length of employment and the dates?

Also, how strict is the requirement for "original signature"? ie. would electronic signature be sufficient?

Three points:
  1. Border petitions are always considered NEW TN petitions, so they take effect immediately, and can only last three years from date of entry.
  2. 9 weeks is WAY too soon to request a border TN when one already has one and nothing substantive is changing. You will simply be let in on your existing TN and told to come back 'round Christmas.
  3. As I always suggest for border petitions, (when you come back in December), is to have a dated letter requesting no more than 3 years from "today".

If you want to renew your TN this early, submit an I-129 to USCIS asking for a 3-year "extension" of your TN, effective Jan 4 2019.

Got it. Thank you so much!! I was wondering if they would let me renew it so far in advance. I might look into filing an I-129 - the only thing is it seems quite costly (at least to the employer).

If you visit Canada frequently enough, I would do a border petition, but if the employer doesn'tmind paying, do I-129, it should not have to be premium processed.

I totally agree with NELSONA.
Most of the time I-129 are getting RFE's now a days, time consuming, costly.
Better to present case in person at POE atleast you have chance to explain the concerns / ques.

That's true. I do prefer submitting in person just because you get the answer right away and, like you said, can address any questions they have. Unfortunately I don't visit Canada frequently enough... may have to make a trip in December just to renew.

What are RFE's if you don't mind me asking?

Also has anyone has any problem with electronic signatures on their letter?

I don't know if it is a "problem", but if you are going to go thru the effort of an electronic signature, why not just scan the signed letter. That I know is not a problem. They don't actually need to see ink, but it should probably be a copy of the hand-signed document. and it doesn't have to be a specific person, if that is the problem, anyone with signing authority at the company will do.

Ah perfect! Yeah I was told our senior exec isn't available to sign personally but I will let them know anyone with signing authority will do. Thank you nelson :)