TN Renewal concern

brdprince

Registered Users (C)
My first TN expires in Oct 2021. My child got new passport in June 2021 so drove to border to get new I-94. When getting new I-94, I was questioned about my job, what are my duties, etc. in WRITING. Officers (three all together, one /two asking question, one sitting on desk open my detail in system and looking back 6 years). I wrote few of main duties. After I paid for fees, I asked the Officer about this 15-20 min. questions, I also observed that other two officers using my written duties were entering 'something online' assuming my file. Officer told me that i was NEVER questioned since last six years when/while on different categories of visas (L1, new L1, renewal L1B, first TN)

Now i will be driving again to Canadian Border to get new TN with my family.

DOES the above JUNE incident can be looked into and raise further queries by CBP agents.

For new TN nothing has changed- same employer, higher salary, manager has changed and work on client site with Company B as managing project (My company and Company B has joint contract for this construction management to client- both compaines share certain position- company B-10, my company -3. All managed by COmpany B Manager)

It seems that your June visit to the border was an attempt by the CBP either to scare you, or to alleviate boredom. It is highly unusual for them to question an entry on a previously approved, unexpired TN. In any event, they let you through, so forget about it.

Your next attempt, with is new TN should go as normal, with some questioning, ending with your TN being granted.

Stay relaxed.

Thanks NELSONA you maybe be correct on 'boredom' as I was THE ONLY in the whole CBP check point.....
me , my son, four CBP officers (one at check point). They did ask me 'Why Canadian refused you entry?' I told honestly that I did NOT fill 'ARRIVE CAN' app as was only flag poling to get my son's new I-94, which they did NOT like.

I am crossing between Vancouver BC and Seattle since 2008 BUT never been 'scrutinized' by CBP so intensely. They did ask me 'why did come to US to work, no jobs in Canada'. to which i replied that my previous employer brought me in 2014 for 'specialized tunnel construction project' He did ask my son 'which grade you are in?' . I was also surprised when they took my son's fingerprint age of 13.

Will post here my TN renewal experience in a week.

Any suggestion/advice for any renewal letter of paper work. Applying under Scientific Technologist/Technician - Engineering category.

Nelsona --I have drafted my :

Petition for “TN” Visa Status, Extension of Stay

'RENEWAL' or 'EXTENSION OF STAY'

Out of the above two terms which is more appropriate in my situation. My first TN ends on Oct 17 2021. going for second - same company, same category. I know every three year TN is considered NEW but in

Title 8 Chapter I Subchapter B Part 214 § 214.6 h- EXTENSION of stay ( is mentioned )

Your employer can apply for extension of TN by filing an I-129. I believe this is the only route to apply for "Extension of Stay". By going to the border you are applying for a new TN. This entails the documentation you would have used for the previous TN application with an updated support letter.

The letter is requesting a TN, Period. The letter can mention that you are currently employed, but this is not required.

As LMB points out, only I-129 grants extension, ie. an I-94 with a validity that begins when the current TN ends, and is for the specified duration. A border TN begins on the day you are approved at border, regrdless of previous I-94 expiry date.

Thanks LMBrian and Nelsona
I have updated the TN request letter like new visa but my employer has written offer letter as continuing employment
=======================

Continuing Employment Offer – ABC Inc. Classification- Engineering Professional-E4

'We are excited that you have decided to continue with ABC Inc. team.
This letter is a formal confirmation of our continued offer of employment and your acceptance as Resident Engineering Assistant. Currently, ABC, Inc. has a need on our XYZ project. We propose to start/continue your employment the same business day, upon receipt of your TN Visa status. ABC is offering a weekly salary of $xxxx.xxx.

As a “Regular Status – Exempt Employee” you will be continuing to receive the benefits outlined in the company’s Human Resource Manual, a copy of which you already have.
=======================
Above is a 'part' of my new offer letter, do the experts think that company needs to change the above and make it look like its a 'NEW' or 'FIRST' time employment offer letter.

I have requested HR to change the offer letter to below
=======================================
Subject: Employment Offer – ABC Inc. Classification- Engineering Professional-E4

Dear, Sam

We are excited to offer you to continue with the ABC Team! This letter is a formal confirmation of offer of employment and your acceptance as Resident Engineering Assistant. Currently, ABC, Inc. has a need on our regional Transit’s project. We propose to start/continue your employment the same business day, upon receipt of your TN Visa status. ABC is offering a weekly salary of $0000.00. Your regular place of employment will be the ABC office in XYZ city; however, you will typically be project assigned and commuting to that location.

As a “Regular Status – Exempt Employee” you will be continuing to receive the benefits outlined in the company’s Human Resource Manual, a copy of which you already have.

==================================================

Also in the TN request letter have asked company to use USMCA (not NAFTA),
Applying under S T/T- Engineering
List of Documents will be carrying in original and one set copies
A) Offer Letter
B) TN Request Letter
C) Masters ( from USA) and Diploma (non-US) edu qualifications- certs/degree
E)Resume
F) Diploma Educational evaluation letter-equivalency to USA degree
E) Past experience / job letters ( this will be optional only if officer needs more proof of experience)

Thanks for everyone's help and contribution.

TN (renewal) DONE
first time in 20 yrs visa done WITHOUT SINGLE QUESTION

Canada POE: I told officer that am going for new TN, as current expiring in few days. He asked for ARIVCAN app, test results etc. (we had all) He told that since i am going back immediately, he just gave all passports back and told me go ahead and at sign turn left. While i was doing it Officers were observing my car.

USA POE: Border is closed, what business brings you all? (ME) I just turned around and coming for new TN. He asked for all my passports, checked I-94 cards, gave back, opened gate, asked me to go ahead to booth. (ME) followed to booth. Officer at Booth: 'asked me about my purpose of visit. gave me orange slip, park and go inside.

I/family went inside, NO ONE (visitor) in whole office

Officer-you are here for TN
ME: Yes, officer.
Off: Give me all your documents and under what category
ME: Under S'T/T-Engineering,...same employer and same duties no change. This are all originals, and the envelope has complete set of copies of original in color.
Off: Ok all of you sit.( I observed officer opened all originals, glanced it, opened envelope checked copies, came to counter gave me all originals back)
OFF: after 15 mins, called my son, took his photo and fingerprint, asked for my home address.
OFF: Called for me, then my wife enter home address, ...did all process,paid fees by credit card

in and out of POE in 35 mins.

NELSONA you were correct it was easy and fast. Thanks

TN (renewal) DONE
first time in 20 yrs visa done WITHOUT SINGLE QUESTION

Canada POE: I told officer that am going for new TN, as current expiring in few days. He asked for ARIVCAN app, test results etc. (we had all) He told that since i am going back immediately, he just gave all passports back and told me go ahead and at sign turn left. While i was doing it Officers were observing my car.

USA POE: Border is closed, what business brings you all? (ME) I just turned around and coming for new TN. He asked for all my passports, checked I-94 cards, gave back, opened gate, asked me to go ahead to booth. (ME) followed to booth. Officer at Booth: 'asked me about my purpose of visit. gave me orange slip, park and go inside.

I/family went inside, NO ONE (visitor) in whole office

Officer-you are here for TN
ME: Yes, officer.
Off: Give me all your documents and under what category
ME: Under S'T/T-Engineering,...same employer and same duties no change. This are all originals, and the envelope has complete set of copies of original in color.
Off: Ok all of you sit.( I observed officer opened all originals, glanced it, opened envelope checked copies, came to counter gave me all originals back)
OFF: after 15 mins, called my son, took his photo and fingerprint, asked for my home address.
OFF: Called for me, then my wife enter home address, ...did all process,paid fees by credit card

in and out of POE in 35 mins.

NELSONA you were correct it was easy and fast. Thanks
Congrats! Which POE did you go?

LYNDEN, WA ( did my L1 and TN's)

SUMAS and BLAINE not good experiences---toooooo much questioning, long lines and have to wait.....