TN Questions

can someone help me?

I hold a TN visa and am doing a full-time job in the US. Recently I accepted a part-time job under the same NAFTA category and presented the USCIS officer with the TN petition. He took a look at it and said that they made a note in their system that I am doing a part-time job in addition to my current full-time job. But they returned my TN petition and said they I am good to go as they made a note of it. Later they stamped my passport with the same validity date as my original TN and explained to me that it is my full-time TN visa validity actually matters and my part-time gig is within the same validity as my original TN. This was quite surprising to me usually the officers retain the original TN petition, also I have no proof that I am allowed to work for two employers. What are your thoughts?

Also on the side note, I wanted to know if I am allowed to open an LLC and perform this part-time job through that instead of W2? Would that be considered self-employment?

They *should* have issued your a second TN, they may have if you look online for your I-94s. It would have its own validity and end date. Seems he was a bit lazy not to issue you a second one, and file the paperwork.

As to working self-employed, this is fine on TN as long as your have sponsorship from EACH client (ie. a TN for each).

Thanks Nelsona. I asked him the same questions as the part time job had a different end date than the full time one. He kept saying he made a note and I am allowed to work both the jobs. I checked my I94 and it only shows one TN. I dont know if I am allowed to do my second job without an actual TN. My employer did an I9 verification and that came out clear and they didnt ask any questions.do you think I should go back to the border ?

I do have a TN petiton from the client which I presented to the officer, and he looked at it and only made a note of it but no actual TN was issued. In this situation, can I open and LLC in Illinois and ask my client to pay me through the corp for my second job?

I wouldn't worry at this time, however, what if you lose job #1? Then you have an I-94 for a sponsor that no longer exists, and nothing for the other job.

Next time you cross, you should insist in a second TN I-94.