TN @ POE- Lewiston - Covid - 3 day qurantine when we return (this week)?

jack10901090

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
Can the applicant drive to Lewiston POE for a TN and return to Canada (without 3 day $2000 quratntine)?

Thanks,

The land crossing rules have not been changed yet, so far as i know. You will still need to quarantine at home for the 2 weeks.

May be best to just get TN on the way down to your job.

I did my TN recently (did a flagpole)..Drove from US, crossed the Canadian border, informed them i am turning back to US, took a U-turn (did not enter Canada), got my new TN and reentered US.

I informed CBSA, Public health Canada and my state in advance and also did a Covid test as a backup.

You can check up with CBSA and Public Health Canada mentioning you are not going anywhere out in US, finishing your TN and entering Canada back and if you need to do ArriveCan and need to follow 14 days isolation.

3 days and 2000$ quarantine is only for flight passengers.

If you are entering US, spending 1-2 days and then going back, you would need to follow US State Quarantine rules and once you enter Canada, you would need to do 14 days isolation and fill up all information in ArriveCan App.

Check with CBSA and Public health first before you plan anything. They are super nice and will advice you what to do

Thanks for all the help and CBSA gave me exactly the same respnse.

Will the Lewiston POE issue TNs on the weekend during business hours?

Last edited:
Last month, I went to Peace Bridge POE on a Monday.. before going I called them to check if it is Ok to come on a Saturday/Sunday.. they said yes

though, I didn't go on Sat/Sun thinking its better to go on a working day incase if they wants to call my employer to check anything

Give them a call and see if anything changed in between

Thanks for all the help and CBSA gave me exactly the same respnse.

Will the Lewiston POE issue TNs on the weekend during business hours?

As we know, the rules for land crossing are changing on Monday the 22nd of February. Land crossing, which includes crossing and returning to Canada (unless a trucker of front-line worker ) WILL need a covid test and quarantine. It os possible you would have to quarantine in a Govt-mandated location.

The point being that since one does not need a TN to work while in canada, it would be unwise for someone living in Canada, and planning to remain in Canada afterwards, to go to the border just to get a TN and return home, and incur the possible expense of a COVID test and a definite 14 day quarantine.

Wait to get a TN until you are going to actually go to US and work: That is when you need a TN. Then you will not be subject to Cdn re-entry rules, but to the rules in the state in which you will live and work.

As we know, the rules for land crossing are changing on Monday the 22nd of February. Land crossing, which includes crossing and returning to Canada (unless a trucker of front-line worker ) WILL need a covid test and quarantine. It os possible you would have to quarantine in a Govt-mandated location.
Hi nelsona,

Does this apply also for those in the US heading up to the border to exit US (but not 'enter' Canada)? I'm hoping to do a flagpole trip to get my new visa

EDIT:
Thanks for all the help and everything went off well with the new TN this week at POE.
Congratulations! May I ask if you had to quarantine when going by land? Was it a day-trip?

Last edited:
Those not livng in Canada and merely going to the border to turn around do not have to get tested, nor is there any need for quarantining in canada since they are not going to be in Canada.

Those not livng in Canada and merely going to the border to turn around do not have to get tested, nor is there any need for quarantining in canada since they are not going to be in Canada.

Hi nelsona. Do you know if this is the same requirement for flying into Canada form US for the sole purpose of applying for a TN with CBP? Just in case, I did a Covid PCR test today and hope to have results by Tuesday night as I'm flying up to Pearson on Wednesday morning. I'm a little concerned I may not have negative result in time before flight.

Hi nelsona. Do you know if this is the same requirement for flying into Canada form US for the sole purpose of applying for a TN with CBP? Just in case, I did a Covid PCR test today and hope to have results by Tuesday night as I'm flying up to Pearson on Wednesday morning. I'm a little concerned I may not have negative result in time before flight.

@nelsona.....I've just checked into it and I do need a negative Covid PCR test result within 72 hours of departure. Passengers need to sign an Attestation for Covid requirements

Can I ask where you found that info? Does it also apply to driving?

It is what Delta advised me to do but when I look on the travel.gc.ca site and check who does not need a pre-entry test; it does indicate that "transiting passengers who are only flying through Canada to reach another country". I'm confused right now but if someone has gone through this within the past week, it would be nice to hear their experience.

It is what Delta advised me to do but when I look on the travel.gc.ca site and check who does not need a pre-entry test; it does indicate that "transiting passengers who are only flying through Canada to reach another country". I'm confused right now but if someone has gone through this within the past week, it would be nice to hear their experience.

I believe it may be a flight requirement as airlines may be taking precautions for their passengers (shared "indoor" space). Also to keep their employees and passengers safe. But I would definitely like to hear other's experiences, as well.

From what I've read, it seems most people regardless of air/land travel, get the test just in case.

Canada.ca/coronavirus has an info graphic describing the process of entering canaga by land. However it does not apply to those simply entering Canada just to return to US.