TN letter - Renewal at POE

stock2008

Registered Users (C)
I plan on going to the POE to extend my TN status

Have couple of questions regarding the letter

1) Should the employment letter issued to me say "renewal of TN" or "should it be "extend status of TN" ?

2) Is this an acceptable language "We seek to extend the TN-1 status on behalf of John Doe so that he may continue working for us as a xxx. We require his services temporarily for a period of three year starting Jan 22, 2009 and ending no later than Jan 22, 2012. On completion of this temporary employment, we fully expect Mr Doe to return to Canada."

I plan on going to the POE to extend my TN status

Have couple of questions regarding the letter

1) Should the employment letter issued to me say "renewal of TN" or "should it be "extend status of TN" ?

2) Is this an acceptable language "We seek to extend the TN-1 status on behalf of John Doe so that he may continue working for us as a xxx. We require his services temporarily for a period of three year starting Jan 22, 2009 and ending no later than Jan 22, 2012. On completion of this temporary employment, we fully expect Mr Doe to return to Canada."

every border TN is a new TN.

"extend" term can only use for Mail in TN

If I were an employer, I would NOT be adding the line about "we fully expect Mr Doe to return to Canada". I would have no idea what my former employee would do after he left.

If I were an employer, I would NOT be adding the line about "we fully expect Mr Doe to return to Canada". I would have no idea what my former employee would do after he left.

What I've had at the end of some of mine has been something like this...

"Mr. Doe understands the temporary nature of the TN and understands that he is expected to return to Canada after the work has been completed" ... or something like that. Basically instead of saying that the company expects you to leave, just let the company say that YOU are aware of what needs to happen.

None of my old ones ever had anything about me returning to Canada. All they stated is "we wish to extend the employment of so and so for 1 year."

That was pretty much it...

Thanks all.

Final question , since its a extension, should the letter say the start date specially when I am already in the US ? Isnt the end date enough

It should simply say 'three year period'.

The start date and end date will only be determined when you show up at the POE, ie. it will start that day and expire in 3 years from that day.