TN Dependent ( TD ) visa holder - student eligible for University resident fees status ?

HI ,

i am plan to move to Texas - US on the TN visa , my daughter is dependent on me and she is in grade 11 , after 2 years she will finish Texas High school.
After High school ,she plan for university , is she eligible as resident ( in-state ) student ?

if not what is her status and how much university fees should we pay for her further studies ?

thanks

Unfortunately, according to the Texas requirements https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency, she doesn’t seem to qualify for instate tuition. Although some students on visas can establish domicile and therefore qualify for in-state tuition, TD visas are not an eligible category for this (see link from above page at https://utw10041.utweb.utexas.edu/docs/eligible-visas.pdf ) There is an option for internationals to qualify if they graduate a Texas high school, but this requirement neede at least 36 months residence before high school graduation which it doesn’t sound like she will meet.

This means your daughter would be classified as an international student and will be charged out of state (non resident) fees. The exact amount will depend on which college she goes to, whether or not she will be a commuter or dorm student, and usually is dependent on course of study as well. As an example, here is the UT-Dallas fees page to estimate fees per semester https://www.utdallas.edu/finance/bursar/tuition-estimate-statement/

As susie mentions, not all states have such stringent requirements for in-state tuition. You might seek to eventually work at another office of your sponsor in a more favourable state.

As susie mentions, not all states have such stringent requirements for in-state tuition. You might seek to eventually work at another office of your sponsor in a more favourable state.

My understanding is that TN/TD is generally a disadvantage compared to other visa types for residency but it’s certainly worth investigating for OP. As an example, the UT-Dallas difference in resident vs non-resident tuition seems generally to be around $26k a year, obviously paid for out of after tax income. I have no idea what or if there is a “typical” TN salary range but for some people this could be significant enough to make moving states worthwhile. Another angle that might be worthwhile is figuring out which private colleges give good merit funding to internationals, for higher achieving students not fixated on college prestige this can often be cheaper than public colleges. Private may be also be easier to get into, for some public systems (Texas is one of them) there is a strong preference given to state residents for admission, for example at UT Austin something like 90% of undergrad places go to state residents. Not sure about the non-flagship UTs. There are a lot of considerations about college in the US especially if you are classed as international.

Last edited:
Thanks SusieQQQ and Nelsona for answers !

If i moved on TN and later in next year if my company file H1B for me , in that case my daughter will fall under H4 visa , after that is she eligible and consider as In resident student for university ?

Thanks SusieQQQ and Nelsona for answers !

If i moved on TN and later in next year if my company file H1B for me , in that case my daughter will fall under H4 visa , after that is she eligible and consider as In resident student for university ?

i did give you a link to the document that has eligible visa types, you can check on there, as well as confirm what the conditions for domicile are on the main link I gave you.

Judging from your username you are Canadian, so also bear in mind it may be much cheaper to send her to college there especially if she won’t be a commuter student in the US.

Also bear in mind that your daughter will age out of any dependent status at age 21 and will have to convert to F1 student visa then, unless you have managed to get green cards before then.

It is best to call the admissions office of the school directly and ask them the questions. I found most of the college/university websites not very clear when it came to students on TD or H4 status. (since this applies to so few students)
I moved with my family to California in 2015, our child started grade 9 on TD status, switched to H4 status in grade 11 and switched to Permanent Resident before starting University (just in time!). So we have been through the process. It is difficult!
Also, she will not qualify for student loans under FAFSA, until she is a permanent resident (or US citizen).
I would also call the potential high schools to see how her high school classes will transfer over to obtain US high school diploma. Some classes, like Canadian History and Canadian Geography will not transfer over.
Also a lot of high school students take AP classes, and college/university admission is based on SAT, GPA and AP courses taken.
If she is starting grade 11 without taken any AP classes, she could already be behind her grade 11 classmates, and find it more difficult to get accepted into college/university. And she may find it difficult to register for any AP classes in grade 11, since she does not meet the requirements, since her grade 9 and 10 were done in Canadian high school. Talk directly to the potential high schools guidance departments.

Last edited:
HI ,

i am plan to move to Texas - US on the TN visa , my daughter is dependent on me and she is in grade 11 , after 2 years she will finish Texas High school.
After High school ,she plan for university , is she eligible as resident ( in-state ) student ?

if not what is her status and how much university fees should we pay for her further studies ?

thanks
Hi, did you get an answer.

Hey team below is the reply I got from admissions office. I plan to move to Texas this year on TN and my 3 kids are currently in grade 10 so by the time they are ready for university of texas in 2024 I would have worked for 1 year so by this email it sounds I would qualify for in state tuition?
——
Hello and yes, holders of the TN and TD can qualify for Texas residency if they reside and work in Texas for one year,
Thank you
Residency Office
Graduate and International Admissions Center