TN Advice - Technical Publications Writer

false__gossip

Hi all, I'm about to embark on the TN application process with a job offer in hand from a tech startup in NYC. I believe the category I will be applying for is the Technical Publications/Technical writer category for the TN. The lawyers expressed concern that I may be rejected for a TN because my educational credentials are not an exact match for what is expected for the technical writer category.

According to the OOH: Employers generally prefer candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in English or another communications-related subject. Technical writing jobs may require candidates to have both a degree and knowledge of a technical field, such as engineering, computer science, or medicine.

My degree, from an accredited Canadian university, is formally a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. I have explicit coursework in my transcript for Computer Science and English Literature courses.

I'll be putting together my documentation soon with the help of a legal team. What are my chances I may be rejected based on my educational credentials in this situation?

I would doubt that your educational credentials would be accepted, but the only way to find out is by trying. Don't quit your current job.

I would doubt that your educational credentials would be accepted, but the only way to find out is by trying. Don't quit your current job.

The legal team preparing my documentation is Fragomen - I've seen mixed reviews about their work with TN applications on this forum. When they send me my file to review I am considering doing an external consult with another lawyer (got recommended Brian Zuccaro). Would this be within my purview or right to get my documents prepared by one legal team reviewed by another legal consultant? Should I notify the legal team that I've been communicating with that I will be doing an external consult?