Tips for Organization, Presentation, Dressing & more

BetterWorld

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

Wondering if we have some thread giving presentation tips to the filers so that they can have less stress during the process?

Like how they should put/organize all the documents while
a. mailing the applications, and
b. also when going for interview?

Half battle is won when your all the information is visible to the officer without much effort and frustration.
How to make sure officer gets the information quickly that he is looking for.

How you can make sure that officer looks at the important information that you want to show him even before the interview when u send the application?

Also we should address the questions about what to wear to the interview.

Any pointers/suggestions/experiences...?

From what I remember because the entire process was two years ago:

1. In regards to mailing the documents, we had everything organized in a big fat folder. We copied everything and placed our copies in a 1 inch binder, which I still have. The way that we organized it was:
A. One check for both the I-130 and I-485
B. G-1145 (Notification by email and/or text message of when the application is received by the lockbox)
C. I-130 with all supporting documents attached to the form by a paperclip.
D. I-485 with all supporting documents attached to the form by a paperclip.
E. I-693 in a sealed envelope
F. I-864 (2 forms due to a co-sponsor) with the support documents attached to the proper form by a paperclip.
G. Other necessary forms due to my wife's visa status at the time with the documents to those forms attached.

I can't recall but I think inside of paperclips we used binderclips due to the large amount of documents.

We tried to place everything in a priority mail envelope. However, we ripped the standard cardboard envelope and had to get the bigger type that is normally use for stuff other then documents.

That seemed like the logical order to us, but USCIS has their own way of organizing the files, which was not followed in our case because a copy of my aunt (co-sponsor) passport was in the wrong spot when they created the file so the officer got confused and asked who it was when she got to that page.

2. In regards to the interview we brought our binder of information and a photo album. The officer that we had never saw our file before we got into the room and couldn't locate it in her office because it was in the office of a different officer. So when she reviewed the file with us it was her first time seeing it. However, based on our documents and our answers she was able to tell us she was making a recommendation of approval to her supervisor.
In terms of dress at the interview. I wore a shirt and tie, and my wife wore a business suit.

Though it was two year ago but you still responded.

Appreciate your response !

Looking forward to response from other guru's of the forum...

From what I remember because the entire process was two years ago:

1. In regards to mailing the documents, we had everything organized in a big fat folder. We copied everything and placed our copies in a 1 inch binder, which I still have. The way that we organized it was:
A. One check for both the I-130 and I-485
B. G-1145 (Notification by email and/or text message of when the application is received by the lockbox)
C. I-130 with all supporting documents attached to the form by a paperclip.
D. I-485 with all supporting documents attached to the form by a paperclip.
E. I-693 in a sealed envelope
F. I-864 (2 forms due to a co-sponsor) with the support documents attached to the proper form by a paperclip.
G. Other necessary forms due to my wife's visa status at the time with the documents to those forms attached.

I can't recall but I think inside of paperclips we used binderclips due to the large amount of documents.

We tried to place everything in a priority mail envelope. However, we ripped the standard cardboard envelope and had to get the bigger type that is normally use for stuff other then documents.

That seemed like the logical order to us, but USCIS has their own way of organizing the files, which was not followed in our case because a copy of my aunt (co-sponsor) passport was in the wrong spot when they created the file so the officer got confused and asked who it was when she got to that page.

2. In regards to the interview we brought our binder of information and a photo album. The officer that we had never saw our file before we got into the room and couldn't locate it in her office because it was in the office of a different officer. So when she reviewed the file with us it was her first time seeing it. However, based on our documents and our answers she was able to tell us she was making a recommendation of approval to her supervisor.
In terms of dress at the interview. I wore a shirt and tie, and my wife wore a business suit.

Oh, I forgot the G-325A Biographical Information.

The I-130 asked for a G-325 for me and my wife, so we put both G-325A along with the I-130 supporting documents.

The I-485 asked for a G-325 for my wife, immigrant, so we put a G-325A for her along with the I-485 supporting documents.

Since they needed two copies of the G-325A for my wife, I typed it up and printed off two copies.

One thing that I read was that since the forms might be separated and go into two different directions, it is important that each form have the necessary documents to be considered on its own merit for the immigration benefit sought. So, even if that means you have a copy of your marriage certificate as evidence for the I-130 and then another copy in the evidence for the I-485 is ok. It is better to be over-prepared then under-prepared.

Tips for Preparing for Interview

Interview usually goes like this:
1. Swear In (while standing)
2. Request for IDs (SS Cards, EAD, Passports, Drivers License)
3. Review of the I-130 with sponsor
4. Review of the I-485 with applicant
5. Request for Maritial Evidence

Helpful tips, I received from my immigration attorney.
1. Put SS Card, EAD, DL in Passport and clip with a binder clip to secure. Hand entire contents to IO
2. Organize all documents that go together with Post-It Tabs (stick on index tabs) and label tabs with what documents/group of documents are. For example for maritial evidence, I grouped all photes together under a "Photos" tab, Electricity statements for several months under an "Electricity Statements" tab, etc
3. Organize groups of documents together with Binder Clips (makes it a lot easier for you to find)
4. Top 2-Hole punch any documents that you think the IO will ask for. This way they can just open up their clips and put the documents in.

My stack included every NOA I received and a copied/2-hole punch of each NOA, all of the sponsor's employement information together originals and copies (also punched), three years of tax returns originals and copies of the sponsor (also punched), any other documents they ask for originals and copies (also punched) such as arrest records, maritial evidence originals and copies (also punched).

I feel that our IO was impressed with how organized we were and left a good impression, so it may be worth it to you.

Thanks

Thanks lizab213 !

This will be helpful to many who struggle with how to organize all the documents.

Interview usually goes like this:
1. Swear In (while standing)
2. Request for IDs (SS Cards, EAD, Passports, Drivers License)
3. Review of the I-130 with sponsor
4. Review of the I-485 with applicant
5. Request for Maritial Evidence

Helpful tips, I received from my immigration attorney.
1. Put SS Card, EAD, DL in Passport and clip with a binder clip to secure. Hand entire contents to IO
2. Organize all documents that go together with Post-It Tabs (stick on index tabs) and label tabs with what documents/group of documents are. For example for maritial evidence, I grouped all photes together under a "Photos" tab, Electricity statements for several months under an "Electricity Statements" tab, etc
3. Organize groups of documents together with Binder Clips (makes it a lot easier for you to find)
4. Top 2-Hole punch any documents that you think the IO will ask for. This way they can just open up their clips and put the documents in.

My stack included every NOA I received and a copied/2-hole punch of each NOA, all of the sponsor's employement information together originals and copies (also punched), three years of tax returns originals and copies of the sponsor (also punched), any other documents they ask for originals and copies (also punched) such as arrest records, maritial evidence originals and copies (also punched).

I feel that our IO was impressed with how organized we were and left a good impression, so it may be worth it to you.

Before Marriage Vs After Marriage

Is it really helpful to show docuements/evidences 'before marriage' and 'after marriage' ?

Wondering how you guys organised docuements/evidences to show before marriage/dating period? Did you put two different packets for Before Marriage Vs After Marriage documents?

Please share

Any thoughts?

Is it really helpful to show docuements/evidences 'before marriage' and 'after marriage' ?

Wondering how you guys organised docuements/evidences to show before marriage/dating period? Did you put two different packets for Before Marriage Vs After Marriage documents?

Please share