Tip: Vaccine Certificate (Canadians in US)

For Canadians in the US... you might consider getting a proof of vaccine certificate specific to Canada if you were vaccinated in the US (i.e. forward your US records to Canada, have Health Canada send you a QR code). The new rules seem to suggest you can't board a flight (that leaves Canada, beyond November) without it. You can always get your next TN at the Mexican border, but agents will be harsher during adjudication or not be as familiar with the TN v.s. Canadian ports of entry. So the more expensive option - having a $100 CV PCR test, flying back to the US from Canada, via flagpole U-turn, could become easier with this new certificate and yield a better outcome v.s. Mexico POE.

Rule seems really silly since immunity will have waned a lot since your full set of shots (as if you had minimal vaccinations) unless you get a third (booster) shot. You can thank Trudeau (32% approval).

1635010499193.png

1635010445270.png

Last edited:
Yeah, province and local health unit. There are some online forms that one can upload their US vaccination proof to their local health unit's web site . Then one can call its local health unit 5 days later, then download a QR code from the province site. I confirmed with them. This way you can avoid getting stranded in chilly Canada past November by not lacking a Canada-recognized certificate. Also seems odd that non-Canadians in Canada could just fly as they please v.s. Canadians that lack a certificate. Something to do with boosting vax numbers. There's going to be some confusion and people getting stranded and rules keep changing too, so be on the lookout.

Last edited:
Not sure what the concern is, this has very little impact to most people.

TN holders living in US will have CDC card or digital equivilant and should be recognized by airline/CBP when going back to US (as it has been by CBSA since August). One technically gives up the Canadian health card so there's not really a point to register it unless one is moving back to Canada. For visiting Canada purpose, the CDC card will suffice, ON even has a page showing this https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

1635188550271.png

I can only think of TN commuters that hold Canadian health card but chose to get vaccinated in US, they may want a local looking pass for taking flight/train within Canada or going to restaurant, but then again I think most places will accept CDC card regardless since Americans can enter the country.

Re-read: "Canadians will not be able to board a plane for foreign or domestic travel without a proof-of-vaccination certificate beginning November 30"

Which means that even with a CDC or digital equivalent "recognized" card, you could still get stranded in Canada without having obtained the official Canadian certificate (regardless of perceived equivalence). An expired health card will still let you get a Canadian certificate. I just got mine with an expired health card. This would impact any Canadian going back to Canada and trying to fly after Nov 30.

It doesn't make sense because one could have been full vaccinated 10 months ago with little or no immunity remaining (like someone who had no vax), while non-Canadians can still travel without any certificate. The CDC card has also been used fraudulently, so the certificate may be another way around that.

So, you're quoting a news article that's aimed at the general domestic population. "Canadians" simply refer to residents of Canada. News cater to most of their readers who will fit that criteria, so in summary it is correct but there are details left out.

Check the actual government websites for further details, they've considered more cases and simply use the term individual rather than Canadians because they know not every person physically present in the country holds a Canadian passport and that just causes confusion. You can call them and add yourself to the Covax list but I'm sure you'll find that foreign proof or CDC card will work in major locations (travel industry for sure, can't say that for every mom and pop restaurants tho)

Not worth chancing it and making assumptions about what "Canadians" means (according to you) regardless of whether it's a news article.
One less way for things to go wrong. I don't have to call because I already received my certificate.

I was only referring to flying - not other activities or major locations in general.

It's better to discuss travel related questions and concerns in other forums, this is just a site for immigration. You'll find more response and data point on flyertalk.

["Are you fully vaccinated and eager to start travelling? Starting Nov. 30, you will not be able to fly without a government-issued vaccine passport with a QR code.

As of Oct. 22, the new proof of vaccination can be downloaded to smartphones or printed in hard copy in five provinces, including Ontario, and the three territories. For the rest of the provinces, the document will be available by Nov. 30.

Along with the QR code, which will include your COVID-19 vaccination history, the document will also have the official logo of the province or territory and the official logo of the Government of Canada.

Before Nov. 30, Canadians who don’t yet have access to the QR-coded proof of vaccination, can use their proof of vaccination receipt when travelling, however it’s advised to bring a printout because the digital copy may not be readable outside of Canada.

The vaccine passport does not guarantee your entry into another country, according to the Government of Canada. Before travelling, check the entry requirements for the country you are travelling to and any other country you’ll transit through on your way to your final destination."]

So it's worth checking requirements (before flying) and consider that rules that can rapidly change (i.e. maybe after Nov 30, there might not be a need for a Canadian certificate for non-residents in lieu of other proof).

So many rules, exceptions...

["Canadians booking flights to the U.S. will need to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated in a form provided or recognized by Canadian governments, such as Ontario’s digital vaccine passports. Both paper and digital records will be accepted, according to an administration official. Those booking flights may be asked to upload their vaccination record, and should also bring it with them on the trip. Those records will be checked against travel documents to ensure identity.

And as announced earlier, proof of vaccination with any vaccines approved for emergency use by the World Health Organization will be accepted, including the mixed doses that roughly four million Canadians received.

Air travellers will also need to provide proof of a negative test result for COVID-19 taken within three days of their date of travel. Unlike Canada, which requires a PCR or molecular test, the U.S. will accept the less expensive rapid antigen tests.

Children under age two and those who have a documented recovery from COVID-19 within 90 days can be exempt from the testing requirements.

As for vaccinations, there are some notable exemptions as well: primarily, those under 18 will not require proof of vaccination, in recognition of the difficulty children still have in some places of becoming eligible for or receiving vaccines. There is also a narrow range of exemptions on medical grounds — “for those that have severe anaphylactic allergic reactions to a prior COVID vaccine,” an official said — although the official emphasized the narrowness of the exception and said it would only apply to in cases where there was an urgent reason to travel

American citizens and visa holders who are unvaccinated will continued to be allowed to enter the U.S., although they will be required to be tested within one day of their travel. In further guidance that does not apply to Canadians, there is also a vaccination exemption for residents of about 50 countries in which vaccine supply is so low that less than 10 per cent of the population is vaccinated."]

So, as jixca said, best left to another forum, or simply point to the source references, which you fail to include.

Yes. Until sometime in January, all non-Americans who were permitted to cross before Nov 7th (like TNers) , will still be able to cross unvaccinated. After that date all will need vaccine.

Thanks for the above reply.

Have the cut off date for TN holders without vaccination been published for Jan 2022?

I propose to fly back from BOM to ORD ON Jan 19 / Jan 20 with two doses of Covaxin.

Thanks for the above reply.

Have the cut off date for TN holders without vaccination been published for Jan 2022?

I propose to fly back from BOM to ORD ON Jan 19 / Jan 20 with two doses of Covaxin.

Wrong question as to land in USA on TN we currently have to be vaccinated. Please ignore the above post.