• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Tip for new DV immigrants

gabam

Registered Users (C)
Hi my dear friends, I am gabam. Most of you guys may not know me, and my signature has also been removed by this board, I don't know why. But I was a DV-2013 winner. I have been in the US for four years. I want to share my experiences with you guys, and give you some tips, so that you do much better than me, and be prepared for everything.

These are tips when you land in the US, not before that.
And don't stress yourself about the whole DV Process. Don't let the stress distract you from things like your studies, job, and family life etc. Because, stress will not get you anything, while it may cost you alot. Stay focused on your studies, and job. Thinking too much will not get you anywhere. Stay focused on your activities. Tips,

IN THE US, TIME IS MONEY, TIME IS MONEY, TIME IS MONEY. YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO WASTE TIME. GET EVERY DONE FAST. DONT WAIT FOR SIX MONTHS TO GET YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE.

1) The moment you land, next day go and get your social security card, which will have your social security number on it.
2) Try to open a checking(current) bank account without your social security card if possible, try to show them your passport and DV Visa which is also your green card for one year.
3) Whichever state your coming to, make sure you study the driving test booklet for that state. Read it thoroughly and learn all the laws. You need to get your driver's license as fast as possible, I repeat, as fast as possible, you must get in within a month or sooner. Make sure you learn driving now, don't wait till you come to the US. Learn driving now, and study that driving booklet now, and be ready for the test. AND GET YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE FAST, FAST, FAST!!!
4) Once you get your social security number, get a secure credit card fast, I mean, FAST, FAST, FAST!!!! Credit history in the US will take you a long way. I am driving a $40,000 car right now, and I didn't put any money down, and I am not paying them any interest. Why??? Because I built an excellent credit. My credit score is better than 70% of the US citizens. And I did it in 4 years only. A good credit will also help you get a loan for a business or a house.
5) Instead of thinking too much, and putting all your energy in waiting and waiting and waiting for the visa, make sure you use that time and energy to polish your skills, so that you get a job here.
6) Get your degrees and certificates verified and attested.
7) Leave me a message in the inbox if you have more questions from me.

Best of luck!!!

Just re the SSN, for the majority of those who ticked yes to having a SSN done automatically in the DS260, their SSN will arrive within ten days of POE. It may not be necessary to go into the SSO.

Just re the SSN, for the majority of those who ticked yes to having a SSN done automatically in the DS260, their SSN will arrive within ten days of POE. It may not be necessary to go into the SSO.

Good tips and its good to know that things are going well for you in the U.S. Congrats @gabam

These are tips when you land in the US, not before that.
And don't stress yourself about the whole DV Process. Don't let the stress distract you from things like your studies, job, and family life etc. Because, stress will not get you anything, while it may cost you alot. Stay focused on your studies, and job. Thinking too much will not get you anywhere. Stay focused on your activities. Tips,

IN THE US, TIME IS MONEY, TIME IS MONEY, TIME IS MONEY. YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO WASTE TIME. GET EVERY DONE FAST. DONT WAIT FOR SIX MONTHS TO GET YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE.

1) The moment you land, next day go and get your social security card, which will have your social security number on it.
2) Try to open a checking(current) bank account without your social security card if possible, try to show them your passport and DV Visa which is also your green card for one year.
3) Whichever state your coming to, make sure you study the driving test booklet for that state. Read it thoroughly and learn all the laws. You need to get your driver's license as fast as possible, I repeat, as fast as possible, you must get in within a month or sooner. Make sure you learn driving now, don't wait till you come to the US. Learn driving now, and study that driving booklet now, and be ready for the test. AND GET YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE FAST, FAST, FAST!!!
4) Once you get your social security number, get a secure credit card fast, I mean, FAST, FAST, FAST!!!! Credit history in the US will take you a long way. I am driving a $40,000 car right now, and I didn't put any money down, and I am not paying them any interest. Why??? Because I built an excellent credit. My credit score is better than 70% of the US citizens. And I did it in 4 years only. A good credit will also help you get a loan for a business or a house.
5) Instead of thinking too much, and putting all your energy in waiting and waiting and waiting for the visa, make sure you use that time and energy to polish your skills, so that you get a job here.
6) Get your degrees and certificates verified and attested.
7) Leave me a message in the inbox if you have more questions from me.

Best of luck!!!

Thank you very much for your super Tip Sir.