timeline

rzz1gv

Registered Users (C)
does anyone have any idea of the timeline for citizenship applications currently?

can anyone throw ballpark figures against each of these stages? have i missed any stage?

submitting of application
acknowledgement of receipt from Sydney
hearing from local office about test date
test
citizenship ceremony

Thanks

here's my roommate's case

mailed appl. march 20, 2003
received a letter mid april saying file started processing apr 11th.
today called CIC and they said she's in line for test, all background check et al done.
expecting test letter according to CIC max by first week of aug.
test will be scheduled a week after letter is sent out.
oath is 2 to 4 weeks after the test

(we're in mississauga, which CIC told her is among the most lengthy processing areas, along with brampton, and TO)

Test date 4-6 months from the date you mailed the application
(Only if no fingerprints required. If finger prints required then it may take additional 3-4 months)

1-3 months after rhe test date to take the oath

Citizenship card and certificate will be issued on the day of oath.

1 day to 2 weeks to get your canadaian passport

but when you file for immigration, you already submit the fingerprints...why would they ask for it again?

How long for the test?

I would like to ask usually the test will take how many hours? How many questions? By writing or verbal? Is that just finish the test and can leave the office? And, is that everyone need to show the passport to the officer before/after the test? Thanks!

fingerprinting

i just assumed finger printing was necessary as there is an entry in the RCMP police clearance application that asks why you need the clearance and one of the reasons provided is Canadian citizenship..

guess i was wrong

CIC - bunch of jokers

Here's my timeline:

- Applied April 5th, 2002
- Received letter April 17th, start processing
- Took citizenship test on April 16th, 2003 (yes, a year later)
- Now my background checks are expired and they need to be redone before I can take the oath...what a bunch of jokers those government employees are.

Good luck everyone,
monster

Confusing to the extreme...

The whole game changes again...now CIC is telling me that I am still just waiting to be scheduled for the oath. It's been over a year since I sent my application for citizenship and I am getting tired of all this running around. It feels like it's never going to happen...just draggin on and on and on.

Just a tad bitter right now...still keeping the hope.

monster

Re: Confusing to the extreme...

Originally posted by monster28
The whole game changes again...now CIC is telling me that I am still just waiting to be scheduled for the oath. It's been over a year since I sent my application for citizenship and I am getting tired of all this running around. It feels like it's never going to happen...just draggin on and on and on.

Just a tad bitter right now...still keeping the hope.

monster

Go and see your Miister/MP, and explain the situation. They are the only folks who will be able to expedite your Oath. You will be given the same information again and again. This worked for my relatives. Went and saw the MP, 2nd week of July. Got a call from CIC end of July informing that they should show up for Oath on 08/08. They received a call because th epostal folks were planning on a strike. Received letter in mail on 08/01.

Let us know the outcome!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info

Vault,

Thanks for the good info. If my application does not get resolved until the end of September (which would mean 1 year and 5 months since I applied) I will go and see the MP.

monster28

Re: Thanks for the info

Originally posted by monster28
Vault,

Thanks for the good info. If my application does not get resolved until the end of September (which would mean 1 year and 5 months since I applied) I will go and see the MP.

monster28

If I were you I would not wait till end of September. Then you will not be called for Oath till November. Well if you are not in a hurry, I guess you can wait. If your background check has been completed, then your file will eb sent to the Immigration Judge for signature. Normally it takes between 2 -4 weeks. This informaton is in the Manual. You should be able to get it form the CIC web site. You shoud have received a letter by now, asking you to come for the ceremony normally held during the first week of every moth.

Took test in June, but have not recieved anything about ceremony. Maybe because of the beckground check? But the people in test was telling us, we should be recieving notice about ceremony 8 -- 10 weeks after the test.

Before i took the test, they already asked me to take fingerprint for background check. If that mean i can waive another background check after i finished the test?

Ottawa CIC sucks

I will try to explain the process as far as I know. In OTTAWA, the background check is done before the test. The theory by the Ottawa CIC is that if the background check has expired between the time the applicant has taken the test and the scheduling of the oath, another background check is initiated.

This second background check is NOT (I repeat NOT) required for all applicants. It is required for unfortunate applicants like me. I have applied in June 2002 and taken the test in June 2003. When I called couple of days after the test, I was told that I have passed the test and my application has been APPROVED and I am waiting for the ceremony. However when we enquired at the end of July 2003, we were told by the CIC that the background check has expired and they will have to redo it. Right now they are still in the background check. God knows when that will be completed.

I would like to know from applicants like monster28 on the time it took for the SECOND background check. I also want to know from jackchen20022002 on what the CIC folks are telling him right now. I mean have they initiated another background check or is he still waiting for the ceremony.

The CIC Ottawa is such a mess. We know people like monster28 who has been waiting from April 16th 2003. Some of the folks I know are waiting from the test in May, I am waiting from the test in June 2003. Here comes the fun part. I know first hand some of my friends who have taken the test in the first week of July and got their Citizenship (Oath) in August. Another guy took the test in the first week of June 2003 and got the citizenship in July 2003. I have no idea what kind of a logic the Ottawa CIC folks are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CIC folks was telling us right after test that in 8-10 weeks we are supposed to recieved the notice for ceremony if we passed test. (I took test in Toronto) But seems like this might not be true....

mississauga, brampton and scar. are among the worst, or that's what CIC has been telling my roommate for past 3 months. it seems they have the highest immigrant concentration, which seems very true too. ottawa is generally supposed to be easy and i know of 3 people who got everything, from filing application to passport all done from ottawa in 6/7 months.