Time for spouse\'s permanent residency (passport stamping)?

Muddy

Registered Users (C)
My spouse is on H1-B currently! I am applying N-400 on April, 22nd 2002 (Both currently Indian Citizens) and living in Maryland. What is the best/fastest way to convert her status from H1 to Permanent Residence?
How long will it take to get my citizenship? and after my citizenship, how long will it take to

get her permanent residency (Passport Stamping)?
Your help and sharing information/knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks

file I-130

as a permanent resident, you may file I-130 at any time for your spouse, who would have been able to (can) receive the new V status based upon the approval of the I-130. Once you become a United States citizen, you can notify the service center of your new citizenship and file the I-485 (with supporting documents) at the local district office, who will request the I-130 file from the service center. OR you may wait for your citizenship to be completely finished and file all documents (I-130, I-485, etc.) at the local district office.

John could you please give me some more info

I applied for my spouse I-130 in Feb 1999 (under Family 2A category), as a permanent resident. Since it is more than 3 years is there any way I could change her visa from H1 ???. Can she get her work permit ??? I think I read somewhere that if you apply for I-130 for more than 3 years and still not processed, he/she can stay in this country. But my question is under what visa ???. We are married for more than 3 1/2 years.
Answer really appreciated.

Brazilian

If you I-130 has been approved and waiting for 3 years for a visa number, your spouse probably is now eligible for V category visa.

However if she is on H1 then she can work !

SanjayH

I-130 Question

SanjajH, thanks for the reply. When you say waiting for visa no. I thought I get visa no. once my I-130 is approved. Then I apply for
I-485. My condition is I applied for I-130 under 2A category and got the receipt from INS,but nothing after that. How will I know whether I-130 is approved or not, other than calling INS in Texas which I cannot get the connection.
Thanks

connection

I would just wait until I get connected (use speaker phone). Once you connect to INS representative you will get information needed. Where is your spouse? In USA or Outside of USA, I think \'V\' visa is applicable to person\'s outside USA.

How long it takes to finish I-130 process

Me and my spouse are from India! I heard applying on the basis of green card take 4-6 years for spouse\'s residency. Basically that is one of the big reason for getting citizenship, so her visa issues will be taken care.

How long it takes to process I-130 process? - we currently live in MD!

is eligible for V visa

Your spouse should be eligible for V Visa. then your spouse can obtain employment authorization each year (I-765+fee) and can work for anyone/or same employer, while waiting for visa. address for application is available on INS website: www.ins.usdoj.gov. I-765 goes to same address each year. when visa is available, submit I-485 to local district office.

V visa depends on date of filing

while the I-130 must be approved before obtaining a V visa, the 3 years wait from filing is from the date of filing. The visa can be obtained by beneficiaries who are outside the US. for beneficiaries lawfully in the US, V status can be obtained by mailing the application to a chicago address you can find on the INS website.

More information on any processing can be obtained by contacting the INS National Customer Service line: 1-800-375-5283.

The processing times for all the service centers are published by several attorneys and on about.com. the times are listed for each application processed in each service centers. I-130\'s filed by US citizens are processed quicker, because the visa is immediately available for immiediate relatives.

each service center publishes their processing times.

see my previous post. Each service center publishes their processing times to AILA. various attorneys and about.com maintain the processing times on their websites. A quick check of the Southern Service Center on one of thosse sites will give you the information you need.

John, is this correct ????

JOhn, I checked the Visa Bulletin and found for I-130 2A categoty the date given is Jan 15 1997. I applied for I-130 in May 1999. Correct me if I am wrong, once the date reaches May 1999 I can apply for change of status or I have to wait May 1999 + 3 years to apply for I-485.