Tijuana, Mexico: Successful 8th year VISA extension stamping

mjharish

Time to payback!

I had a successful H1B 8th year and my wife H4B VISA extension at Tijuana, Mexico on 15th November.

Here is my experience

Documents carried for H1-B visa

1. I-797 (H-1 approval from INS) - top and bottom part in ORIGINAL
2. Copy of I-129 (petition filed by your lawyer on your behalf)
3. Copy of LCA (Labor Conditioning Approval)
4. ORIGINAL letter from your employer
5. ORIGINAL bachelor's and all master's degree certificates
6. ORIGINAL master’s degrees' transcripts
7. pay-stubs for 6 months
8. ORIGINAL E.A.D card (Practical Training authorization card)
9. Appointment letter from consulate
10. 108$ in fees.
11. Filled out ORIGINAL DS156 and 157 application form (electronic copy. Make sure bar code prints properly. Barcode in
my application didn't print clearly and person in consulate ended up in entering my applications manually)
12. Latest bank statement showing enough money to survive.
13. Copies of tax returns
14. Social Security Card
15. Driving License
16. Business Cards

I stayed in Travel lodge - San Ysidro which is close to US border. They were OK to park my car for one day in their parking lot.

Crossed bridge(US/Mexico) at 8:00 and took cab for 10$.

Went to Banamex bank which is close to bank and paid 108$ for VISA application fee. Stood in line written for 9:30AM
appointment line.
Approximately it takes 1 hour to enter Consulate. During this time a person will come and verify your DS156, 157 and
appointment letter.

Once you entered consulate there are 2 sections where you will be interviewed. A person will direct you
to go to the first section and they will import your information on DS156 form through barcode to their computer.
They also take your finger print and photo. A lady who took this information was kind of weird and trying
find out whether I was genuine applicant or not. She was asking me and my wife some weird question like what is your data
of birth? and after providing answer she was kept on repeating 3 times are you sure... She did
for very questions and took almost 30 minutes to complete this process. I had tough time in understanding her English
also. So.. be patient and calm and get through this process.

After this you need to stand in line for VISA interview. They will direct you to go to the correct line

My Interview

Me: Good morning. How are you doing today?
VO: Doing good. Thanks. How are you doing?

ME: Good. Thanks for asking. We are here today for H1B and H4b VISA revalidation

VO: OK. give me your documents
Me: Gave passport, DS156 and DS157

VO: Give me I797, Employment verification letter and paystub
Me: Gave the documents

Vo: Are you with the same employer?
Me: Yes

VO: Give me I-129 form?
ME: gave the document

VO: Give me last year W-2 form and tax returns
Me: (I didn't expect this questions). I gave document

VO: took some time and went through the return

VO: Which part of India you are from
Me: Bangalore

VO: I think that is in southern part of india..?
Me: Correct

VO: I heard about company..But I don't remember what they do?

(My company is one largest Biotech company in the world. But I didn't want use the world Biotech since it comes
under TAL list)

Me: A human therapeutic company develops medicines for cancer patient

VO: What is role in your company?
ME: Sr. system administrator... explained my role for 1 minute

VO: You manage network also?
Me: NO

VO: How long you want to work for your company
Me: As long as they keep me

Vo: How many language you speak?
Me: Answered his question

VO: Turned to my wife and asked the same question
My wife answered his question

VO: How old is your daughter?
Me: He is my son and is 14 months

VO: Where is his application
ME: He born in US and he is citizen of US

VO canceled my existing VISA on my passport

VO: Do you know last week we cancelled 50$ additional fee for Indian citizen and you no need to pay that fee now
Me: I didn't know. Good to hear that news.

VO: Are you vegetarian?
Me: Yes

VO: He gave the vegetarian restaurant " Sri HariKrishna" address and direction

VO: Please come and collect you passport at 3:00
Me: Thank you. Have a nice day
Vo: You too. Have a safe ride back to US

Over all he was pleasant and nice with me.

I met three other Indians who came for H1B stamping and they all got stamped without any issue.

Some of the things need to aware if you traveling with kid. They don't allow stroller. You may need keep stroller and any electronics devices to the shop next to consulate. They charge 3$

Tijuana is a nice place and people are also friendly. I feel like I am in Bangalore. We also went for Shopping around some of the places

I picked passport around 3:15, took cab and came to border. Always ask price before boarding TAXI. WE thought it will be 10$ and didn't ask anything. But on the way he said he will charge 20$ for ride and reluctant accept lesser
amount

Stood in the line..It was only one line. Stop by near special office which has blue colored tiles in front of the
building to get I-94. People inside this building are very dumb and sometimes you may need to educate on VISA extension, H1B, I-797..etc. It took approximately to 1 hours to pass-through this line and customs.

I am back to US now.

Let me know if you have any questions

Over all it was pleasant and cool trip. Wishing all the best for people going to these places for stamping

Let me know if you have any questions

Cheers
-Harish

question on 3 year extension

Hi Harish,
You are so nice giving all the information one need. It is for sure help everyone.

I came US in 2004. My H1-b visa expires on Feb, 2007. I changed my employer and got new H1-B till Feb 2009. I prefer to get my visa stamped before Feb 2007 so that if for any reason stamping is not successful, I can come back to US with my current visa validity. Also prefer to complete either in Mexico or Canada rather than India.

I have few questions:

1. Do we need visa to enter Mexico? In your case did you get visa to enter Mexico?
2. How did you book your date for stamping?
3. Did you book your room in Travel lodge - San Ysidro before you went there? If so, how did you do that?
4. Please reply my id my_basis@yahoo.com. Would like to discuss with you to plan ahead few things. If you don’t mind. I will not take much of your time. Looking for advice only.

Thanks
Phani

H1B visa interview at Tijuana on Jan 24 2007

Anyone going to Tijuana for H1B interview on Jan 24 '07? It would help to go together.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Info Harish

Harish,
Thanks a ton for your detailed info, exactly what i was looking for .
cheers,
vivek