• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Ties to America documentation

Chris H

Hi folks,

My wife and I "activated" our Green Cards late last August, we are travelling to the US this weekend so we can get our SSN's and a meeting with USCIS to get a new copy of our physical green cards. I have read that when outside the US for less than a year there can still be questions.

Due to my father in laws passing and a critical project in work we were unable to move within the last 10 months. We do intend to move later this year. I have a note from a senior manager in my company, is there anything else you would advise bringing? I have American credit card application conformations printed off too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

I’d be very hesitant showing an employer letter talking about a critical work project outside of the US as a reason ...it’s a good reason for you to stay out maybe, but not for a CBP officer trying to see where you have maintained ties to the US. It shows you are maintaining ties elsewhere. Especially if, if I understand correctly, you’re just touching down before leaving again.
Do you have a US bank account? Driver license?

I’d be very hesitant showing an employer letter talking about a critical work project outside of the US as a reason ...it’s a good reason for you to stay out maybe, but not for a CBP officer trying to see where you have maintained ties to the US. It shows you are maintaining ties elsewhere. Especially if, if I understand correctly, you’re just touching down before leaving again.
Do you have a US bank account? Driver license?

Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate your thoughts. My manager said in the letter that he will indeed assist us in moving to the US at the completion of the project but I’ll maybe not bring that up unless I am asked.

We are going to the SS office in Miami to get our SSNs, I’ve been unable to open a US bank account without one. I have applied for credit cards and I have proof of that but I know the bank account would have a better influence.

Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate your thoughts. My manager said in the letter that he will indeed assist us in moving to the US at the completion of the project but I’ll maybe not bring that up unless I am asked.

We are going to the SS office in Miami to get our SSNs, I’ve been unable to open a US bank account without one. I have applied for credit cards and I have proof of that but I know the bank account would have a better influence.

When you say assist in moving, do you mean the company have undertaken to transfer you? As in a formal offer of a job in the US? Unless that’s the case I wouldn’t mention it.
Bank of America, among others, do not require SSNs to open bank accounts but of course they want to see you face to face. It’s very difficult to open accounts online.

Nothing as formal just that they would assist me to place me in another area of the company. I was going to get our SSN, visit the USCIS to get my green card (they lost our originals before they made it to USPS) and Open a bank account. I was hoping to just explain and go the honest route with them that my mother in law was vulnerable since my FIL passed.

Nothing as formal just that they would assist me to place me in another area of the company. I was going to get our SSN, visit the USCIS to get my green card (they lost our originals before they made it to USPS) and Open a bank account. I was hoping to just explain and go the honest route with them that my mother in law was vulnerable since my FIL passed.

Hmmn, I’m not quite sure how you came about the info, but to the best of my knowledge USCIS doesn’t issue the plastic GC at the FO. If you’re able to make a case that they indeed lost your GC, the process for getting a replacement GC involves submitting an I-90 - application for a replacement GC.

Hmmn, I’m not quite sure how you came about the info, but to the best of my knowledge USCIS doesn’t issue the plastic GC at the FO. If you’re able to make a case that they indeed lost your GC, the process for getting a replacement GC involves submitting an I-90 - application for a replacement GC.

Yes we are hoping to file our I-90 after the meeting at USCIS. USPS confirmed they never received the GC from USCIS (or whoever issues it) but that’s with the ombudsman at the moment.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll plead my case on Sunday hopefully I’ll get some understanding on my personal circumstances.

Yes we are hoping to file our I-90 after the meeting at USCIS. USPS confirmed they never received the GC from USCIS (or whoever issues it) but that’s with the ombudsman at the moment.

Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll plead my case on Sunday hopefully I’ll get some understanding on my personal circumstances.

Plead your case on Sunday? Neither USCIS nor SSN Office operates over the weekend.

You really should have just filed for a replacement GC, considering how long it takes to get a replacement card. It currently takes 11-12 months on average. Waiting on the ombudsman’s decision may sound good, but you’ll still have to formally apply for a replacement card even if their finding is in your favor.

If you have documented proof from USPS that they never got or picked up the GC to start with, you should proceed will filing for a replacement card which will be at no cost to you.

Hm, isn’t biometrics required for an I90? How long are you guys planning to stay in the US for?

Incidentally on ties, i forgot to mention one of the most obvious ones - your tax return for 2017.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies, sorry maybe the wires have crossed a little here. I have a stamped GC in my passport for Sunday when I travel ok. I’ll be in the US for just shy of 4 weeks. While I’m there I intend to go to USCIS appointment to explain about the missing green cards, the USCIS sent a tracking number but when you follow the link it shows that a package was never received to be posted by USPS, the USPS have confirmed they didn’t receive a package to deliver to me in the first place.

Thanks for the info regarding the I90, I didn’t know I could go ahead and file even though they are seeking payment as they didn’t receive it back from USPS (even though they didn’t go in the first place).

Susie - we are retrieving our SSN next week from a Miami Social Security Office, I spoke to a guy on the phone who confirmed I could file for an extension without my SSN. Then we can get ours filed before the October deadline. I have the receipt to show the extension request form being sent.

Chances are they tried to deliver your green card and you werent there to sign for it. Thats what they”re doing now. You have to show ID before the usps Agent releases it to you. And only the Signee. “Green card recipient can sign. Doesnt sound like you can just come and go back to your country. That procedure right there makes it difficult.

And your I 551 stamp will expire soon.

Susie - we are retrieving our SSN next week from a Miami Social Security Office, I spoke to a guy on the phone who confirmed I could file for an extension without my SSN. Then we can get ours filed before the October deadline. I have the receipt to show the extension request form being sent.

Understood, but it again doesn’t help you from a “showing ties” perspective.
How long were you in the US on your first trip?

Chances are they tried to deliver your green card and you werent there to sign for it. Thats what they”re doing now. You have to show ID before the usps Agent releases it to you. And only the Signee. “Green card recipient can sign. Doesnt sound like you can just come and go back to your country. That procedure right there makes it difficult.

And your I 551 stamp will expire soon.

His would have been months before the new convention, he said they entered in August last year. It was only April or something.

The point about the stamped I551 is very valid, post the one year anniversary of entrance absent a plastic green card it is an issue as they have no proof of status. He can get another I551 stamp, but as far as I know they can only do that after they file I90 and get the receipt notice on it. I can’t remember how long it was before we got the receipt notice on my kid’s I90 - i think it was a couple of weeks.

Understood, but it again doesn’t help you from a “showing ties” perspective.
How long were you in the US on your first trip?
The fact that they will be looking in the passport for the I551 stamp. A curious CBP officer cant help but notice the stamps in the passport ? Wouldnt that be a problem as that would be clear evidence as to how long OP was out for.

His would have been months before the new convention, he said they entered in August last year.
He said to get a new copy! They would still require him physically being there to sign for it!! This time around though. ??

The fact that they will be looking in the passport for the I551 stamp. A curious CBP officer cant help but notice the stamps in the passport ? Wouldnt that be a problem as that would be clear evidence as to how long OP was out for.

They don’t need to look in the passport, it’s all on their computer.
I have almost no doubt they will face some hard questions, coming back in 10 months later with a return trip already planned in a few weeks. Probably a warning and possibly an annotation in the passport.

He said to get a new copy! They would still require him physically being there to sign for it!! This time around though. ??

Replacement green card takes months, he’ll hopefully have moved back properly by then. My kid’s took 11 months. I think it’s shortened a bit since but it won’t be quick.

Just an update folks, no questions asked at the border, CBP guy said USCIS lose them in the mail a lot and just head to uscis in US to get them to reissue, all good! Thanks all anyway

Just an update folks, no questions asked at the border, CBP guy said USCIS lose them in the mail a lot and just head to uscis in US to get them to reissue, all good! Thanks all anyway

Lucky! Well done and good luck with sorting out all your docs.