Those who want to go home

Just my observation:

The article is an answer to a question posed by an asylee as an asylee and the reply does not indicate in any way that this is a response to a permanent resident. Please see bold text in copied portion of the question from the Web site above.

"One article in your website mentions that it is difficult for people who have asylum cases approved or who don’t have Green Cards to return to their native countries. Is that the truth?"

Mr. Alan Lee was actually my attorney for my asylum case.

He told me then that an asylee should NOT visit country of claimed persecution EVEN AFTER GREEN CARD IS OBTAINED.

Personally I oppose to asylees going home. But can we leave this issue as do it at your own risk? I see more and more threads related to this subject being opened in the forum and the discussions get no where.

I agree with JackIsBack, there is no point discussing this issue. This going back home issue is very complex as circumstances vary with each individual, thus it becomes a matter of personal choice and the personal comfort level of the LPR.

I think we have discussed this issue quite a lot with no clear consensus among the group and maybe we should give this issue some rest for now ....

I think it will be helpful if the AILA liason can ask the CIS what their policy is on asylees and LPRs who got their status thru asylum returning home.
Also it would make an interesting case study to see what kind of asylees went home and returned w/o any problems and what kind gets caught and face penalties. i.e. their nationality, ethnicity, religion, POE, 3rd party countries they're coming back from, etc. to see if there's any stereotyping and profiling (I'm not assuming BCIS target muslims or ppl of mid-east descent) involved.

I doubt the CIS would give a helpful response. They would probably say something along the line that "each case is different and we are strongly commmitted to combating fraud in the immigration system. " Like it or not, a visit to the country of claimed persecution raises objective doubt about your asylum story.

POE is not the only venue where problems can occur. Another frequent venue is the citizenship interview.

Within the CIS there are people who would love the kill the asylum program for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you. It is a waste of time be discussing this matter.

Originally posted by JackIsBack
Personally I oppose to asylees going home. But can we leave this issue as do it at your own risk? I see more and more threads related to this subject being opened in the forum and the discussions get no where.