Those who have been "Greened" --what next?

kclee60

Registered Users (C)
Yo!
Congrats to all who has their GC Approved. I am also glad to share here my wife's (beneficiary) GC was approved recently; welcome notice received about 2.5 mo. after interview! I guess to all of us, we can finally breathe a sigh of relief (especially me considering the downside I received from USCIS during my 140 phase - 2 rejections) and move on to a more stable planning...for my wife and me, it means seriously considering having kids and investing in 2nd home...

So my questions to all of you out there is come 5 years later, can we apply for citizenship on our own? Is that a simple process or do we still need to hire immigration attorney costing us tons of $? And what are the benefits of a green card? To be honest, I did not really celebrate when I saw my green card in the mail. Perhaps my feelings have been numbed by the severe setbacks throughout this journey. Even my relatioship with my wife suffered turbulent headwinds all these years; glad we sailed throough the storm and finally see the calm weather....at least for now..

To those who have yet to get their GC, hang in there...your time will come. My case is a testament :)

Cheers!

So my questions to all of you out there is come 5 years later, can we apply for citizenship on our own? Is that a simple process or do we still need to hire immigration attorney costing us tons of $?

Unless you have a complicated case five years from now such as extended absences from the US or criminal history issues, it's pretty straightforward.

And what are the benefits of a green card?

Most importantly, the freedom to do what you want, where you want. You are no longer tied to an employer, job, location, school or spouse, depending on your status.

we can finally breathe a sigh of relief

Or we can apply for I-131 to go out for 2 years to feel the actual relief. I am not kidding, this is true. I think, we (or at least me) feel pressure, stress.......etc with or without GC in US.

I am confused. I agree that the GC process is very taxing. However once the goal of earning permanent residence in the US is achieved, why is there a need to leave the US in order to feel the actual relief?

Or we can apply for I-131 to go out for 2 years to feel the actual relief.

why is there a need to leave the US in order to feel the actual relief?

I am puzzled by this too. If being here is so stressful then people can always abandon the GC process, leave the US and not return - at any point in time.

I guess people will always have something to complain about.

I am puzzled by this too. If being here is so stressful then people can always abandon the GC process, leave the US and not return - at any point in time.

I guess what he means by this is that GC holders still have some restrictions on the amount of time they can be out of the country. They are free within the country but not after they leave.

I guess what he means by this is that GC holders still have some restrictions on the amount of time they can be out of the country. They are free within the country but not after they leave.

Yes, I suspect he is one of those who do not understand what permanent residence means. They want to live in their home countries and America at the same time and that's impossible.