Thinking about going to San Ysidro - Think Twice

simsd

Registered Users (C)
I wish I could make this a sticky so we wouldn't have to deal with this so often.

I haven't put my two cents in this forum for a long time.

But it seems like some things never change.

How many effin' GD times do I tell you people not to go to the border - especially San Ysidro.

DO IT BY EFFIN' MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't matter how much it costs. Or better yet - do it online.

Read Grasmik's reason's for doing it by mail - all the processor is looking for is completeness of the paper work. If you've had a TN before, they are generally not going to question the validity of it.

I did once have a two page 16 question RFE on one mail in renewal, but given that the person who generated the renewal was illiterate and couldn't see that we had provided the information in our initial application, all we did was send it in again. Approved!

In addition to that, you would have been set for an additional 240 days from the date expiration of your TN if you did it by mail.

OMG, why do you people insist on causing yourselves so much hardship. Once you're in the country, you're in - that's it. It's more difficult to be denied via mail than in person.

And another note on San Ysidro - Yes you have to call ahead and get and appointment with the special cases officer. And if you're smart enough, you can FAX them the offer letter ahead of time in order to see how they feel about the wording.

Also - the CBP guys are mostly "blue collar" types. Given the state of the economy, they now view us as taking jobs away from other Americans - even though they don't realize that a degreed engineer is not "workin' " on the line with the GM factory working who has been pushing a button for $60 and hour over the last 20 years - even though when he took the job 20 years ago he always knew the factory job was "iffy" at best.

Snowgoose - I have to believe this experience has cost you way more than the $300 for each application.

And BTW - for those of you that insist on going to San Ysidro, DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER WITH YOUR CAR. Given the state of affairs down their (Huge Drug war) you are running a high risk. Also, did you know that your car insurance does not cover you once you cross the border? That's why there are all those Mexican auto insurance places along the way.

There is a duty free shop before the border. Pull in there and there is a public pay parking lot. Park there and then walk across through the turn style gate into Mexico and then walk across the street to the entrance to the special cases building. When you see what goes on with everyone else you'll wonder why you were so stupid to go to the border.