the new CIR bill and "cut off date" for I-140

sunn1000

Registered Users (C)
Section 502 (d) (2) of the new CIR bill introduced in the Senate on May 21st 2007 says that if you have not filed for an I-140 before the date of introduction which is May 21st, you will not be able to get a GC under the current system. You will have to wait until Oct 2008 under the new Merit based point system to restart the GC process. But, that has a hard country limit and people from all over the world can apply without physcially present in the U.S. Also, people with H1 extensions beyond 6 years won't get them as that requires 365 day pending I-140 application.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SENATORS TO ALERT THEM ON THIS UNFAIR RULE THAT PUNISHES THE POTENTIAL EB APPLICANTS FOR NO FAULT OF THEIRS AND THOSE WHO WERE VICTIMIZED BY THE BACKLOG OF THE LABOR DEPARTMENT. PLEASE ACT FAST TO GET AN AMENDMENT TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

Please see below the text of the section of the bill:
--------------------------------------------------
SEC. 502. INCREASING AMERICAN COMPETITIVENESS THROUGH A MERIT BASED EVALUATION SYSTEM FOR IMMIGRANTS
(d) EFFECTIVE DATE..

(1) IN GENERAL..Subject to paragraph (2), the amendments made by this section shall take effect on the first day of the fiscal year subsequent to the fiscal year of enactment, unless such date is less than 270 days after the date of enactment, in which case the amendments shall take effect on the first day of the following fiscal year.

(2) PENDING AND APPROVED PETITIONS AND APPLICATIONS..Petitions for an employment-based visa filed for classification under section 203(b)(1), (2), or (3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (as such provisions existed prior to the enactment of this section) that were filed prior to the date of the introduction of the [Insert title of Act] and were pending or approved at the time of the effective date of this section, shall be treated as if such provision remained effective and an approved petition may serve as the basis for issuance of an immigrant visa. Aliens with applications for a labor certification pursuant to section 212(a)(5)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act shall preserve the immigrant visa priority date accorded by the date of filing of such labor certification application.