• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Uncle33

I'm planning my permanent move to the US some time early next year. I would like to hear your thoughts on how moving as a new immigrant should go about.

1. Should I find a permanent home first before I send my personal items over?
2. Is there any exemption of tax on the import of personal items of new immigrants (the equivalency of the "Transfer of Residency" in the UK)?

Would love to hear your personal experience. TIA.

SusieQQQ

I'm planning my permanent move to the US some time early next year. I would like to hear your thoughts on how moving as a new immigrant should go about.

1. Should I find a permanent home first before I send my personal items over?
2. Is there any exemption of tax on the import of personal items of new immigrants (the equivalency of the "Transfer of Residency" in the UK)?

Would love to hear your personal experience. TIA.
1. Personal choice
2. There is no tax on bringing your own items in, other than I believe alcohol - we were advised by the mover not to put any in our container.

2014hopeful

Registered Users (C)
If nothing else, if you're an Australian, our superannuation funds do not meet the definition of a pension fund in the US and are considered investments like any other, which are subsequently treated differently to pension funds from a taxation perspective.

This may be of interest. There's at least one accountant/law firm in the US that thinks Australian superannuation should not be subject to US taxation: https://www.castroandco.com/service...s-tax-treatment-of-australian-superannuation/. I haven't used them, but I might in future. I spoke to them over the phone and, for a fee, they offer an indemnity, meaning that if the IRS challenges the treatment of your superannuation in your US tax return, the firm will litigate the issue and, if they lose, compensate you for any back taxes/penalties imposed by the IRS.

adam_95

Hello!

Quick question and sorry if it's a seemingly stupid one.
I became an LPR on January 9th 2022. My understanding is that you file taxes for the preceding calendar year.
Does anyone know how new LPRs should go about tax filing for a preceding year that they were not residents or lived in the US during?

Or should they not do that.

2014hopeful

Registered Users (C)
Hello!

Quick question and sorry if it's a seemingly stupid one.
I became an LPR on January 9th 2022. My understanding is that you file taxes for the preceding calendar year.
Does anyone know how new LPRs should go about tax filing for a preceding year that they were not residents or lived in the US during?

Or should they not do that.
If you only became an LPR on 9 January 2022, your first tax return will need to be filed by 15 April 2023 for the 2022 tax year. There's no need to file anything in 2022 unless you were subject to US tax obligations in 2021 that are unrelated to your LPR status.