Termination of job and Unemployment in CA

gc4eb3

Registered Users (C)
Received GC an year ago, yesterday my employer terminated me with vague reason. In California it is at-will employment, so just want to concentrate on job search.

Now ...
1. Can I claim unemployment? Does it create any issues at citizenship? Waited >12 years for GC, don't want to get into another queue.

2. Can I buy health insurance from federal exchanges, saying I have little income?

Appreciate any suggestions, not just answers to above questions, in this regards

Thanks

1. Yes. No issues.
2. Yes. Note that your final tax credit depends on your income the whole year; if you claim too little you get taxes back, but if you get too much you have to pay more taxes.

Thank you newacct.

Actually my question is on buying health insurance for 2015, from federal exchanges. If I am jobless in the beginning of 2015, obama care may be cheaper. If I use obama care, saying I have very little income, does it create any problems for citizenship?

Once I get job and group insurance, I will discontinue the obama care. For the rest of 2014, will use COBRA, it is expensive, can't afford for long.

Thank you newacct.

Actually my question is on buying health insurance for 2015, from federal exchanges. If I am jobless in the beginning of 2015, obama care may be cheaper. If I use obama care, saying I have very little income, does it create any problems for citizenship?

No problem as long as you pay whatever you owe when your entire 2015 income is determined on your tax return. That may include paying back the Obamacare subsidies.

I was trying to buy health insurance through Covered California (health care exchange). In the income column I claimed the unemployment allowance only, of course that is my current income. Covered California says based on that low income I am not eligible to buy insurance from their exchange, they pushed my application to Medi-Cal.

I am really concerned with this Medi-Cal stuff. Does it create any problems for my immigration status when I apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

I was trying to buy health insurance through Covered California (health care exchange). In the income column I claimed the unemployment allowance only, of course that is my current income. Covered California says based on that low income I am not eligible to buy insurance from their exchange, they pushed my application to Medi-Cal.

I am really concerned with this Medi-Cal stuff. Does it create any problems for my immigration status when I apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
Whether you are eligible for Medi-Cal depends on California's rules. If you are eligible, then you can get it, and it won't negatively affect you. However, if you immigrated through a relative category, then someone did an Affidavit of Support for you, and they could theoretically be liable for Medi-Cal costs you incur, since they are supposed to supplement your income if you don't have enough.

Even if you are eligible for Medicaid (Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid), you can still buy insurance through the exchange, you just can't get any subsidies and pay the full cost. (But I believe that you sponsor would also be liable for subsidies you get anyway.)

My gc is employment based, so no sponsors are involved. I can continue cobra, or buy directly from insurance companies, but that is really expensive, can not afford.

my first preference is to buy from Covered California health exchange, but they are not selling me, because my low income qualifies me for Medi-Cal. Per my discussion with health exchange rep, Medi-Cal is the only way for me to get subsidized health insurance.