temporary resident permit - police clearances

kurious

I'm American. I had recently wanted to go to Canada to visit my fiance. Canadian customs told me to go talk to Canadian customs in Buffalo. They would not let me cross. They gave me from for Temporary Resident Permit, it's 2 pages. The form wants me to declare why I require this permit, and the choices that might relate to me are...
-Seeking early entry
or
-other (explain)

My question is, if I'm not married (She's Canadian), which of the above choices should I use?
Also, can/should I state that I want the permit to be able to visit my fiance while I work on earning more money and/or waiting on paperwork, or even waiting to get married?
----
On police certificates, how long are they (federal and state) good for ?
---
I later tried to enter the country, and another Canadian agent told me to have
1. Federal clearance
2. Letter of job offer/proof of job
3. Copy of apartment lease.

Now I have these documents... Will I be able to visit for a day, a weekend, a couple of weeks? Is this process arbitrary? BTW, I live in Buffalo.

thank you,
kurious

Last edited by a moderator:
something is not right here, American citizens by birth or immigration enter and leave Canada freely, all you need is your birth certificate or US passport try entering with any of the two and you will not be asked for anything else. Otherwise you will have to have a passport from your country of citizenship and TRV. And when you file for TRV you should offer the most genuine reason for the visit as well as time duration. Hope this helps.